Fairfield county, 12/14 & 12/15

A walk through the creekbottom here at Morris Creek Thursday at dusk yielded
the first displaying Woodcocks of the season.  They were close enough that
the oddball assortment of noises attracted the attention of my birding buddy
at the time, my dog, who was struggling like I to see the noisemaker.

On Friday a quick trip to Lake Monticello found three Horned Grebes, a
Common Loon and a Ring-billed Gull visible from the ballfield/boat launch
area.  I was disappointed to miss the usual Bonaparte's Gulls but was
pleased to see the Horned Grebes as I hadn't had the pleasure of seeing
Horned Grebes in quite a while.

Donna Bailey
Winnsboro, SC
e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com
     "Where are the Birds?  Migration across South Carolina"