Raleigh CBC

Hi CBC'ers. It wasn't  bad Raleigh CBC, but certainly far from the best.
The weather was overcast, drizzling but calm. I haven't seen all the
totals but with many of the returns in we had logged 94 species...with a
good array of waterfowl including: Will's Redhead and Common Loon at L.
Wheeler, and our Pintail at Greenview, and more than 100 Hooded
Mergansers were seen at Lake Benson and at Yates Millpond; raptors were
scarce as visibility was poor and as of noon no Bald Eagles were tallied
even though they had been seen the day before; no winter finches of any
kind were reported nor were Red-breasted Nuthatch; on the other hand,
Gray Catbird, Orange-crowned Warbler and Palm Warbler made appearances;
sparrows were spotty and many groups remarked at the lack of Juncos,
still Fox Sparrow were found, and the White-crowned Sparrow flock near
the Greenview Pond has grown to at least 35 birds. Of course the best
bird reported, besides my Woodcock (OK, a personal favorite), was the
female Rufous Hummingbird identified at a backyard feeder by Susan
Campbell. I'm sure they'll be a few more species added, but that was the
general sense of our Raleigh CBC. Good luck on the other Counts.
John C.  > john.connors@ncmail.net