migrating south

Hi C-birders,

In a few moments, I will unsubscribe and drive south for about 10 days in
Florida! But today I received a nice send-off as I glanced through the
scope at what I thought was a Bufflehead, to instead discover a Lesser
Scaup. A nice state bird send-off from Lake Murray...

Spent Saturday on the York/Rock Hill CBC. I've gotta say, Bill Hilton
runs about the most tightly organized and efficient count I've ever seen.
Had a great time despite sleep deprivation and eating Burger King for 2
1/2 meals (the BK was conveniently places dead center in the count
circle). High points included an amazingly photogenic Vesper Sparrow
(sorry Frank, hope you're seeing them in Texas now!), a pair of Harriers
coursing over a cotton field, about 400 American Pipits in a freshly
plowed field, and a predawn silouette of a Great Horned Owl by the pond
on the Winthrop (I think) University golf course. Other counters had many
more highlights, but I won't spoil Bill's thunder on those...

Good birding, and happy holidays!

Josh

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University