Wake waterfowl, Virginia owls

Tracy and I stopped at the local waterways (er... ice rinks) yesterday to try
and pad our year list for 2001.  The results are as follows:

West Lake ponds- mainly frozen, 3 buffleheads in a small liquid spot
1010 pond- frozen
Greenview- frozen
Lake Wheeler- open water!  198 Hooded Mergansers (!), Bufflehead, Mallards,
Canadas, Ruddy Duck
Lake Johnson- Canvasback (79), Ruddy Duck, Ring-necked Duck (4), Wood Duck (2),
Mallards, coots
NCSU dairy- mainly frozen, Canadas, a few Bufflehead (the famous "cow with a
window in its side" was present.  I guess it is not just an urban legend after
all!)
Yates Mill- partially frozen, Mallards, Bufflehead

Tracy, Sandy Cash, and I drove to Windmill Point, VA on the 31st to try and view
the Snowy Owl previously reported from that location.  We were successful in
finding the beautiful bird as it hunkered down in the lee of a short
jetty/breakwater.  Even got some decent pics of the bird with the digital camera
held up to the eyepiece of the spotting scope.  Leaving the Snowy, we drove to a
spot near the intersection of US15 and I-64 to see if we could dig up some
Short-eared Owls.  Dig we did as 4-5 birds were in flight upon our arrival.  The
light was very good and allowed for leisurely looks at the birds in flight and
on the ground.  I understand that if one waits until dusk up to 14 owls may be
seen!  Quite a sight.

Drop me a post is anyone wants directions to either of the above.  The Snowy is
about 4 hours from the Triangle, the short-ears about 3 1/2.

Best,
Steve Shultz
Cary, NC
it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any
intended recipient is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please