Birding in Texas Missed NC Christmas Counts

This is an off subject posting consistent with other similar posts.

Janet and I missed the Chapel Hill Count and the Jordan Lake Count because
of a wonderful trip to the Lower Rio Grande Valley in Texas (that makes
this posting on-topic :).

We took a similar excursion in the late 80's so we didn't drown in lifers,
but still added 9 species.

>All told it was a fantastic 8 days of birding where Janet and I had
>fantastic looks at 198 species.  We were at the right place at the right
>time to see Dusky-capped flycatcher at both Sable Palm and Bentsen (first
>US records of the Mexican form).    I got my Couch's Kingbird at the large
>pond at Sarita. We saw Sprague's Pipits twice.
>
>We got a look at a Bald Eagle at Anzladuas (first Rio Grande Record) ,
>Tropicla Parula in Rancho Viejo, Blue Bunting at Bentsen, Northern
>Beardless Tyranulet at Bentsen and Anzalduas,  Clay Colored Robin at Bentsen.
>
>White Collared Seedeaters at the Library Pond in Zapata (3), on the last
>day we heard about the Reeve at Conelo Ranch and had time to see it. 17
>"sparrows", 12 warblers.  Only real misses were --hooked billed kite,
>Tomcave swallow and muscovy.  Although others saw the Clay-colored
>sparrow, I did not (darn! :)
>
>If you add birds that were not seen by Janet and I,  or seen or heard only
>by the leaders the VENT tour total was 205 species.

Not a bad way to beat the bad weather

>Tom

Tom Krakauer
Bahama, NC