Re: Western Tanager

Forwarded on behalf of Steve Tracy:

In a message dated 1/2/01 10:17:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
steven.shultz@unifi.com writes:

<< Western Tanager, there was a female that
 wintered in Greenville, NC one or two years ago.  >>
     I also had three visits from a Western Tanager on 1/19/99. The bird
definitely had a tanager beak, not that of an oriole, and had clearly defined
wing bars. Duane Crane was also able to come over and see the bird well
before it departed. I reported the bird here at that time. Because Western
Tanagers have been documented as rare winter visitors previously in the
Carolinas and are on the Carolina Bird Checklist, I did not consider formally
reporting this to the records committee at the time. As far as I could tell,
it was the first reported Western Tanager for Gaston County. Should I have
made a formal report to the records committee and, if so, is it too late to
do so now?

Steve Tracy
Gastonia, NC
it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any
intended recipient is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please