Even MORE SRS Henslow's Sparrows

Hi folks,

(please reply to capito@hotmail.com)

My recent Henslow's Sparrow observations on the Savannah River Site New
Ellenton, SC (sorry, no immediate public access):

12/17/2000: One adult of the eastern subspecies (large billed, darker
markings) on wide power line cut off Greene Road (Paul & Tracey Champlin)

01/06/2001: 1 adult and 1 younger (second calendar year just started) likely
western subspecies (small billed, lighter markings) plus 2 individuals
unidentified to subspecies in same general location as previous account. The
2 that were unidentified to subspecies were 1/3 mile from the individual
seen on 12/17/2000 so may have been different birds. (Paul & Tracey Champlin
and 3 other research techs)

01/08/2001: 3 positively identified to A. henslowii; 2 adults likely
attributable to eastern subspecies found during a cursory search of Craig's
Pond (SRS side of bay only). 3 other individuals likely of this species
found in Craig's Pond but were not seen well enough to be 100% positive as
to species (but pretty sure); several individuals of 2 other Ammodramus
species seen at Craig's Pond (Lecont's and Grasshopper) for immediate
comparison of behaviors and morphologies. One more A. henslowii was found 1
mile further east on the power line transect from the 2 previous accounts.
(Paul Champlin)

It seems we have a substantial number of these enigmatic and declining birds
wintering on site.

!!!NOTE:If anyone has information re. South Carolina breeding records for
this species, I’d be extremely interested!!!

Interestingly, in James Rising's "A Guide to the Identification and Natural
History of the Sparrows of the United States and Canada" (1996) I find
mention of this species breeding in Greenville County, SC (and will research
further the source of this record and any others). The larger Carolina Bays
on site look like prime habitat for just such a thing. I can’t wait for
spring!

Other species from the 8th:
1 adult male Northern Harrier
5 Bachman's Sparrows