Woodcock and a use for Bradford Pears

The warm weather seems to have prompted the return of the neighborhood woodcock.
As I was washing the splattered pear-tree fruit off Tracy's car last evening I
heard the familiar "peent" of a woodcock behind the house.  Quickly hosing off
the car, I proceeded to the marshy area behind the house and was treated to
flight displays, fly-bys, and a bird feeding in the open about 10 yards away.
Sounds like my concern over the birds was unfounded, they are alive, well, and
displaying after a brief period of reclusiveness.

Speaking of the pear tree, as I was cursing the fact that the tree overhangs the
driveway, I considered that Bradford Pears must have little wildlife value
despite the profusion of fruit.  I was taught a lesson this morning upon leaving
the house, a flock of Cedar Waxwings alighted in the tree and began to devour
fruit.  I guess I'm happy to trade a messy car for the privilege of seeing the
handsome waxwings.  We had noted waxwings in this tree before, but thought they
were just passing through.

Best,
Steve Shultz
Cary, NC

it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any
intended recipient is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please