forgot something; other white birds; Re: tufted duck

Hi Carolinabirders,

Left one small detail out of my Butner Gamelands report. Along Old Oxford
Highway, in the midst of the urban sprawl blight that is Treyburn, one of
the corporations constructed a small pond. The pond is now populated with
waterfowl, which we checked out on our way back to Roxboro St. for lunch.
20+ Ring-necked Ducks, 4 Hooded Mergansers, and a flock of Canada Geese.
This pond may be worth checking for birders visiting Brickhouse Road,
Penny's Bend, Knap of Reeds Creek, or any of the other birding spots in
this neighborhood.

Any further reports of the white bird with juncos in Hillsborough? Not
from me, although I did see a report on the Georgia listerv of two
leucistic (nearly albino) Blue Jays near Rome, GA. And, probably more
exciting for most of us, a Yellow-faced Grassquit in Everglades NP! Boy,
between this, the St. Louis Smew, and a Nutting's Flycatcher (3rd US
record) in southern Cal, what I wouldn't do for a few plane tickets,
motel rooms, rental cars, and days off right now...

On Sun, 21 Jan 2001, Elayne and Michael Kodroff wrote:

> sighted across from Jockey' Ridge in Roanoke sound  at 12:00
> by Elayne Kodroff  Manteo N.C.

Tufted Duck is not on the official North Carolina Bird list, as approved
by the state records committee. So this would be a first state record, if
properly documented! Elayne, and anyone who sees this bird after her,
should file written reports with the committee and, if at all humanly
possible, get photos of it. Reports of rare birds can now be filed
on-line, apparently; see
http://www.carolinabirdclub.org/records_cmmtee.html

At the same website, you can download a .pdf file of a rare bird report
form to print out on your computer and submit by mail. The official NC
bird list is also here, also a .pdf file, and the SC list will be posted
here as soon as it is ready. Opening .pdf files requires the program
Adobe Acrobat Reader; this program can be downloaded off the internet for
free from http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep.html

On Sun, 21 Jan 2001, Marsha Stephens wrote:

> Anyone hear about the development of a mountain biking trail on Big
> Woods Road?  I heard that there is going to be an agreement with the
> U.S. Forest Service and a group called Traceworks for a 6 mile run.  I
> was wondering if anyone knows exactly where this will be located... and
> concerned about the impact on birding.  I know there will be development
> on that road that will have greater consequences than a bike trail, but
> was concerned as this is the first I had heard.  Any information or
> comments?  Thanks.

Mountain biking trails are usually unpaved and under a forest canopy. I
think it's safe to assume that the trail will do more good than harm.
After all, if the developers who are presently pillaging Big Woods Road
move in to destroy more of the area, not only will the birders be against
it, but the mountain bikers will be on our side too!

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University