OUTERBANKS HIGHLIGHTS

I just returned home from a great day on the Outerbanks.  I had targeted
some of the rarities (Northern Goshawk, Tufted Duck & Thayers Gull) recently
reported, but I saw none of them.  Instead, I found some other noteworthy
species.  Highlights included the following.

HARLEQUIN DUCK (1 female) at Avon Pier.  This was my best bird since it was
a state lifer.  I can't tell you how many times I looked for it in NC over
the last 7 years with no success, but today was finally the day!

CALIFORNIA GULL (2 ADULTS) at Cape Point.  One bird was associating with a
LESSER-BLACK BACKED GULL in the salt pond.  The other bird was on the South
Beach in a large (huge) flock of gulls.

GLAUCOUS GULL (1 1st Winter bird) at the tip of Cape Point.  This gull was
one of four gulls begging the fishermen for food.  An easy find for anyone
looking!

LITTLE GULL (1 adult) at Cape Point.  This bird was flying with Bonapartes
Gulls on the East Beach close to the main ramp near the fish cleaning
station.

LESSER-BLACK BACKED GULLS (40+ 1st, 2nd, 3rd year & adult birds) at Cape
Point.  This was clearly the highest total of this species that I have ever
seen at Cape Point.

EARED GREBE (1) at Cape Point salt pond.  It was associating with a Horned
Grebe, which made for a nice comparison of these two similar species.  Good
luck finding it amongst the ~20,000 Double-crested Cormorants.  I have never
seen so many there.

MERLIN (1) - Flying in Avon.

AMERICAN BITTERN (3) onlong the Rt. 12 drainage ditches.  One bird was close
to the entrance to Bodie Island Lighthouse.  The other two were adjacent to
the Pea Island Ponds.  Three Bitterns is my new one day Rt. 12 record,
replacing two which I have seen on multiple occasions in the Winter.

It was a beautiful day of birding on the Banks!

-Brad Carlson
Winterville, NC
BradCarlson1@hotmail.com

* - Please note the new email address!