Displaying Woodcock

A group of us went to Mason Farm (Chapel Hill, NC) to look for
displaying woodcock last night. All of us got good looks at the flying
woodcock which were calling and flying into some light woods (surprised
me they chose woods) between the field closest to the parking lot and
the next field up to the left.  Two of us stayed behind the others and
walked the trail a little bit and managed to hear the plaintive low
hoots of a Great Horned Owl. As we were walking back to the car, we
heard a branch snap. What was that?? We stopped and listened in the
quiet night and finally spotted a beaver swimming in the creek beside
the trail. Finally, we decided to leave for the car when we heard
another loud noise; our beaver was busy chewing on a tree. What a
racket! So to all who visit Mason Farm, look for an attempted beaver dam
along the creek.

Cynthia Fox, Chapel Hill