Saturday birds

Howdy,

We did a little birding in between delivering more copies of A Birdwatcher's Guide to the Triangle in Chapel Hill and Durham.I'm happy to say the book is in it's second printing!

It's been awhile since Joe and I have stopped at Upper Little Creek Waterfowl Impoundment along 54 in Chapel Hill. Generally we drive by on our way to Chapel Hill Bird Club meetings at night! I was delighted to see a cheerful Winter Wren with it's tail standing straight up. Cute bird! There were also a pair of Hooded Mergansers, a Great Blue Heron and Hermit Thrush, among a few others. We were treated to a beaver close to the edge, sliding up and down and around the branches and stumps in the water, with chunks of ice on its head and back. Thought of Charlie! Neat!!

We didn't stay long at Mason Farm, but got nice looks at Song, Swamp, and White-throated Sparrows; juncos; and bluebirds.

Made our first short visit to Occoneechee Mountain State Natural Area outside Hillsborough late in the day where we heard singing White-throated Sparrows, Pine Warblers, and chickadees.

Sorry we missed the NHAS field trip to Butner Gamelands today. Guess I'll read what we missed tomorrow.

Happy birding! Karen Bearden
birders@aol.com
Raleigh, NC