Yard birds

     Today I mostly stayed home and did some yard work.  Over the
course of the day, with steadily improving weather, we had 17 species
visit, including my first chipping sparrow of the year, a goldfinch
or two, and a red-tailed hawk that sailed lazily overhead, giving us
good views of its rusty tail.
      I also listened to robins calling and at least one pine warbler singing.
      I planted another dozen pansies and a set out more onions than
we can possibly use.  While I was working out back, a pine warbler
came in to the suet when my wife wasn't more than 6 feet away.  Later
a brow-headed nuthatch came even closer to me, but they're always
brazen, so no surprise.
      All in all, it was a good day.

Bob
Robert C. Perkins, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Methodist College, Fayetteville, NC 28311
910-630-7037     rperkins@methodist.edu