Savannah NWR on 2-16

Hi Carolinabirders,
	Today, Gary Phillips and I went to Savannah NWR near Hardeeville, Jasper
County, SC.  Our goal was to find the White-faced Ibis and Cinnamon Teal.
We met with success two life birds for Gary and a state and two county
birds for myself.
There were 48 species tallied.
Pied-billed Grebe-fair number
Double-crested Cormorant-a few
Anhinga-about 25
Great Blue Heron-a few
Great Egret-a few
Snowy Egret-at least two
Little Blue Heron-2
White Ibis-numerous
Glossy Ibis-some
WHITE-FACED IBIS-1
Wood Duck-2 pair at close range-gorgeously bright breeding birds
Green-winged Teal-thousands-probably the most numerous bird at the refuge
Mallard-some
Blue-winged Teal-<100
CINNAMON TEAL-1 very bright male
N. Shoveler-numerous
Gadwall-some
Turkey Vulture-about 12
N. Harrier-5 including a classic male
Red-tailed Hawk-4
Common Moorhean-numerous
Am. Coot-abundant
Killdeer-3
Greater Yellowlegs-at least one
Lesser Yellowlegs-at least two
Common Snipe-4
Ring-billed Gull-one or two
Mourning Dove-a few
Belted Kingfisher-1
Red-bellied Woodpecker-3
Downy Woodpecker-1 heard only
N. Flicker-a few
E. Phoebe-4
Blue Jay-1
Carolina Chickadee-3
Tufted Titmouse-1
Carolina Wren-1 heard only
Ruby-crowned Kinglet-a few
Am. Robin-some
Gray Catbird-1
N. Mockingbird-2
European Starling-2
Yellow-rumped Warbler-some
Common Yellowthroat-1
N. Cardinal-a few
Song Sparrow-1
White-throated Sparrow-a few
Red-winged Blackbird-numerous
Boat-tailed Grackle-a few

On the way home came across a big flock of blackbirds overwhelmingly
consisting of Common Grackles-at least 3-4000 birds coming to roost in
Pines along route 17 in Ravenel.

Good birding, good company

Jack

Jack Peachey