Rufus Hummer at Casar NC

HI . . .

I got an e-mail about a week ago from a friend in Casar, North
Carolina (Cleveland County), who had a winter hummer coming to her
feeder. I stopped by on my way to an environmental education
conference on 10 February but couldn't catch the bird due to a swarm
of honeybees that monopolized the feeder and trap. (Pretty unusual in
these parts in early February)

On my way back from the conference the next day, I had better luck,
and captured and banded what turned out to be a  female Rufous
Hummingbird. The bird is still visiting the feeder as of today (17
February.)

The bird had an unusually long upper mandible that overhung the lower
one, giving her an almost raptorial hook-billed appearance.

There are pictures and text about this hummingbird on the website for
Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History at
http://www.hiltonpond.org . Just click on "This Week at Hilton Pond "
and select the week of 8-14 February 2001.

(Also included this week is a photo essay on foliose lichens, as well
as the weekly Hilton Pond bird banding totals and info about
recaptures of note.)

Happy Nature Watching!

BILL
--

BILL HILTON JR., "The Piedmont Naturalist"
hilton@hiltonpond.org, (803) 684-5852, eFax: (503) 218-0845

Please visit our web sites at http://www.hiltonpond.org and
http://www.rubythroat.org

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."					BHjr.