Fish Crow in Guilford Co., NC

Carolina Birders:

I heard and saw my first Fish Crow of the season today, 2/23/01, in
Greensboro, Guilford Co., NC. It was at the intersection of High Point Rd.
and Holden Rd. I heard the nasal double call, looked up, and saw a single
individual flying overhead.

This morning I had an unusual sight as I was headed for campus. Out of the
corner of my eye I noticed a single bird standing alone on a driving range
that was white due to our surprise two and a half inch snow storm yesterday.
There was no other traffic, so I stopped and backed up to see what it was. I
found a very still Killdeer standing on one leg in the middle of the
otherwise empty snowy field. I hesitate to project human emotions on a bird,
but it was easy to imagine a very confused Killdeer wondering, "What do I do
now?"

Dennis Burnette
Greensboro, NC
burnetted@aol.com