inkling of migration

I noticed a few hints of spring to come around the house today.  A male Pine
Warbler sang repeatedly from various places in the yard, as though setting
up the vocal fence around his territory.  I have to wonder if this is the
same Pine Warbler who feeds on the nearby suet and maybe the same male Pine
Warbler spotted last weekend with a female Pine Warbler at the suet, both
birds perched on and snacking on the same block of suet.

While visiting a friend who lives nearby, we watched as what was apparently
a single male Purple Martin came to perch on and inspect my friend's active
(well, active for the last six summers, anyway) Purple Martin housing.  My
friend, though not a bird watcher, was quite tickled to see "his" Martins
coming back.  It made me glad I could repay him with a look at the Martin
through a pair of binoculars.  This was a lovely male Martin and the light
was perfect this afternoon to pick up on the cobalt-purple iridescence of a
Purple Martin.  This is the second earliest date I have seen Martins in
Fairfield county; the earliest date I have for them is February 20.
Donna Bailey
Winnsboro, SC
e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com
     "Where are the Birds?  Migration across South Carolina"