Peek a Boo, I see You!

On the first day of March today I was pleased to see 2 female Hooded
Mergansers on the pond in Mills River at Bryson Rd. and S. Mills Rd about
4:30 pm.  As I looked at them they nervously paddled along contemplating
bursting into flight.

I went up to Buncombe County to Lake Julian to the children's playground in
the north shore park.  There I saw another female merganser.  Her "locks"
were flowing upward because she had her bill tucked under her wing in
another means of avoiding being noticed ( I presume).  Wayne Forsythe
recently mentioned seeing many Red-breasted Mergansers at Lake Julian.  The
bird was silhouetted by the reflection of the setting sun so I can't say for
sure that it was an RBME it might have been a Common Merganser.

Since I had just seen a pair of Hooded Mergansers, I am quite sure it was
not a HOME.  There was a flock of 11 Ring-necked Ducks at Lake Julian also.

John Lindfors
mailto: JLindfors@msn.com
Hendersonville, North Carolina