White-crowned Sparrow

Today, following the sound of a sharp, keen "pip" that I didn't recognize, I
found an immature White-crowned Sparrow hanging around in the brush pile we
maintain for the White-throated Sparrows and Dark-eyed Juncos.  Because he
was so cooperative, I had a nice long look at him and could compare him
directly to a "tan-striped" White-throated Sparrow adult who also bounced
out of the brush pile to perch near the White-crowned.

There were numerous Chipping Sparrows and very few American Goldfinch at the
feeders this weekend. The Brown-headed Cowbirds, absent in winter from my
feeders, returned right on schedule this weekend.

With any luck, a couple of my favorites are next to return - Blue-gray
Gnatcatchers and Louisiana Waterthrushes.

The birds are beginning to move.

Donna Bailey
Winnsboro, SC
e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com
     "Where are the Birds?  Migration across South Carolina"