Subject: Babbage Difference Engine on Internet

From: [email-masked] (David Adams)
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 1994 16:17:12 GMT

I just heard from a friend that the people in England who built the Babbage
Difference Engine from Babbage's original specifications have put it on 
the internet.  For those of you who don't know, the Difference
Engine was designed by Charles Babbage back in the 1800's.  Unfortunately,
the technology of the time didn't allow its construction, but a group in 
England did manage recently to build a working model from the original plans. 

Unbelievably, they have put the machine on internet for a short time.
You can telnet into it by typing "telnet 127.0.0.1".   They got
around the memory limitations of the Difference Engine by recycling your
profile file so when you log in just use your login-name and password.
Even with the shortcuts they had to take, you'll find they have all the 
standard unix features that you are accustomed to.  Before
logging out, send a mail message to "root" telling them
your impressions of the system.  Make sure to thank them for the hard
work they did making this possible.

Dave
-- 

 ||||||| David Adams      |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 
 ||||||| [email-masked] ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||