Subject: W Industries Announces When and Where to Play VIRTUALITY in U.S.

From: [email-masked] (Robert Jacobson)
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1991 19:09:36 GMT

Yes, folks, here we have it -- the information many of you have 
been waiting for:  where in the United States to find and play that 
well-touted new virtual-worlds game by W Industries, VIRTUALITY.  
Direct from distributor Horizon Entertainment, here are the venues 
as of Friday, December 20th (note that some stays are temporary, as 
a limited number of machines are being moved about for maximum
promotional impact, so visit now):
 
        In BERKELEY, California, at the UC Student Union, beginning
        in January 1992...
 
        In CINCINNATI, Ohio, at the Forest Fair Mall, after Christmas;
        and roaming units, several units, to be announced...
 
        In LAS VEGAS, at one or more casinos, four sit-down models, 
        date to be announced...
 
        In LOS ANGELES, at the Universal Studios Tour in North 
        Hollywood, several units, now until January 5, 1992...
 
        In NEW YORK CITY, at the Cineplex Odeon/Chelsea Theater,
        260 W. 23rd Street, Manhattan, several units, indefinite run...
 
        In SEATTLE, at Quarters, 206 Main Street, Kirkland, one unit,
        indefinite run.
 
        For more information, you can contact (posted with his per-
mission):
 
                Bill Freund, Horizon Entertainment
                PO Box 14020
                St. Louis, Missouri 63178-4020
 
                (314) 331-6000 phone
                (314) 331-6002 fax
 
        I do not have information on locations in Japan and Europe, 
outside of Britain, yet.  Dentsu Prox, a subsidiary of Dentsu, is the 
agent in Japan.  If any of our European and Japanese participants 
would like to post information about locations, please feel free.
 
        Of course, reviews by anyone who has actually played the game 
are most welcome anytime.  According to press reports, with 
software supplied by computer-game company, Spectrum-Holobyte 
("Falcon Fighter"), VIRTUALITY really sings.
 
        Here is a press release from W Industries.  I do not necessarily 
endorse W Industries's claims (some seem so silly), but I find the 
press release overall to be strangely charming.  Remember, this is 
what reporters and editors are reading about virtual worlds tech-
nology, as told by W Industries.  Welcome to history...
 
                                *     *     *
 
                W INDUSTRIES -- FIRST TO DELIVER THE NEW 
                ENTERTAINMENT MEDIUM OF VIRTUAL REALITY
 
        Orlando, Florida, 12th November, 1991 -- W Industries Ltd., the 
first ever company to deliver the new medium of Virtual Reality to 
the entertainment industry, was today confirmed as World Leader in 
this field, with a flurry of activity at the T91 IAAPA Convention.
 
        Three major announcements were made:  the appointment of US 
distributors Horizon, Japanese distributors Dentu Prox, plus the 
epoch-making foundation of US based Cyberstudio (tm), the World's 
first production company dedicated to Virtual Reality entertainment.
 
        Yet W Industries Managing Director & CEO, Dr. Jon Waldern, 
isn't content with these achievements alone -- and predicts even 
more activity in the near future.  "We were the first to bring afford-
able Virtual Reality to the mass market with VIRTUALITY (tm), but 
for us that's only the first step to our goal of becoming _the_ major 
international entertainment company in our field.  We are already 
working on a home based VR unit and have many significant con-
tracts for modifications and developments of our core system from 
major corporate clients."
 
        Without question, the VIRTUALITY (tm) system has created a 
completely new market in the international field -- that of Virtual 
Reality.  Virtual Reality, put simply, is a computer technology that 
puts the Player actually inside the game -- or Experience in WI-
speak -- immersing them completely in the game environment, 
playing against either a computer opponent or interactively with 
other human players.  It's truly a quantum leap in entertainment 
technology and has been hailed as the greatest advance in leisure 
since the invention of moving pictures.
 
        The '91 IAAPA showcases two major software Experiences 
from W Industries -- ExoRex (tm), an arcade action _tour de force,_ 
and Dactyl Nightmare (tm), which mixes a surreal fantasy atmos-
phere with varied gameplay elements.
 
        Commented Dr. Waldern, "Our mission is to contribute from 
being the pioneers of this new market to consolidate and grow into a 
major entertainment player servicing this rapidly expanding sector.  
Other companies may tell you Virtual Reality is the future -- but 
only W Industries can deliver the future -- today!"
 
        For more information, contact:
 
                Ms. Linda Deal:
                W Industries Ltd.
                Virtuality House [no kidding]
                3 Oswin Road
                Brailsford Industrial Park
                Leicester, LE3 1HR
                England
 
                (44) (533) 524 127 phone
                (44) (533) 471 855 fax
 
                                *      *      *
 
        According to an accompanying press release, Horizon Enter-
tainment, a division of the Edison Brothers Store retail chain, is now 
exclusive distributor for the whole VIRTUALITY line comprising the 
1000SD (Sit-Down) unit, the 1000CS (CyberSpace) unit, and 
Simulation Centers which link players together in common Virtual 
Game Worlds, created with software written by W Industries.
 
        For those studying virtual worlds as popular culture, the time 
has indeed come to start writing those treatises.
 
Bob Jacobson
Moderator