Subject: rend386.doc

From: [email-masked] (Michael Favor)
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 93 20:31:50 MST

Dear Sirs:      
    
    I recently acquired your book "Virtual Reality Creations", and
have been very pleased with REND386 version 5.0.  I have the
following questions:
    
    1.  How do I obtain the latest version by FTP, including any
new add-ons, drivers, objects, etc.?  Is there any cost?
    2.  Is the source code available and how?  Is there any cost?
    3.  I built the Sega serial adapter in the book only to find
that the polarity on my serial port's 12v supply (and the switch
pin) appear to be reversed compared to system ground (when REND386
is not running).  Is there a solution for this?  This has not ever
affected any transfer's of data or the operation of the mouse. 
This polarity switch is on both COM1 and COM2.
      4.  The diagram on converting the Sega serial driver card to
a parallel driver card does not specify exactly which diodes and
resistors are to be removed nor if the connections to the pins from
positive and negative change any.  Can you elaborate or do you have
a graphic file diagram.  The 10 uF capacitor is listed but not
shown. 
    5.  You mention that there are commercial versions of adapters
for the Sega glasses and the Power Glove listed in the appendix,
but I do not find any.  Can you give me any sources?
    6.  Do you have a driver version which places a stereo pair in
a top and bottom wide screen arrangement (One picture on top of the
other)?    Special viewers can be cheaply built to view such a
screen.  It would increase the resolution at 1024 * 768 or even 800
* 600.
    7.  Is it possible to make an object or polygon have a "solid" 
attribute like on some other VR products?
    8.  Do you maintain a REND386 INTERNET mailing list for notice
of any updates or enhancements created by yourselves or others?
    
    I would appreciate any help you can give me in these areas.