Subject: Re: New DEMO4

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 92 09:04:39 MDT

Chris says:

>Just to report that the new, improved DEMO4 works with SEGA glasses
>on my machine as well.
>
>BUT -- I get 2 *very faint* "ghost" images of all objects (or the ones
>I'm looking at anyway, such as the rotating sculpture).  There is one
>ghost image to the left and one to the right of the "real" object, about
>2cm away on my display.
>
>I had to set up my own STEREOSET parameters to be able to view the
>3-D images properly, due to the fact that I'm using a 12" B/W VGA monitor.
>(I couldn't get my eyes to converge the images otherwise.  What exactly
>does the "Convergence" parameter describe?  Diagrams anyone?)
>
>I'm also using an OAK VGA card, so the odds aren't in my favour to start
>with!  The feeling of depth in the image is very strong though.
>
>How much would using a B/W monitor affect things (persistence of mono
>phosphors etc...)?  I've been told that there's a slight problem with 
>the colour green on Colour Monitors due to the low transmittance of
>green through LC panels -- has anyone noticed this?
>
Chris:

Sega and Toshiba glasses both work well on my 386/16.  I also see some
faint ghosts.  Things are REALLY weird until I turn off the compass,
position display, and the frame rate display.  Haven't noticed any green
color problems.  I have noticed that as I zoom (or move) in or zoom (or
move away) out from objects, there is a point at which multiple images of
all objects in the scene appear.  I presume that this is related to
convergence but havn't experimented with the convergence parameter to see
what happens.

Are your menus "invisible?"  (I am using the 9/2/92 version of Demo4.)
--
tkl
--
---------------------------------------------------
T. K. Larson, Idaho National Engineering Laboratory
P.O. Box 1625, M/S 2090
Idaho Falls, Idaho 83415-2090
Phone (208) 525-5334; Fax (208) 525-5996
INTERNET: [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------