Subject: Additions to previous message

From: "Sean Wall, x3736" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 93 15:44:25 EST

Hi,

        I got a few responses to the mail message I sent out regarding
the problem I have.  Thanks for the help so far!  I should have been more
specific when stating the problem, so here goes:

        1) The code is being run on a 33 MHz 486DX.

        2) I have narrowed the problem down to one particular
           function.  When I comment out the function call,
           the error does not occur.  When the call is not
           patched out, the crash occurs after a (seemingly...) random
           interval of time.  However, I know the code in the function
           works because I used it in a test program (separate from
           the application I'm writing) and it returns good values.
           This is using the FP coprocessor, by the way.

        3) Here's the weird part.  The source file containing the
           flaky function defines another function which 
           provides very similar processing.  Calling this function
           never causes the program to crash.  The only difference between
           the two functions is the one which crashes passes more
           parameters on the stack than the other one.  Thus,
           I am led to believe that it might be a stack problem.  Also,
           the crash occurs at the point where the function call
           is made, regardless of where it is in the calling module.
           In other words, it definitely follows the function.

        4) I haven't looked at the TC manual yet, but I'm trying to
           figure out if the stack gets its own segment in the
           large memory model or whether it shares space with the
           code or something.

        Maybe this is a really simple problem and I don't have the
experience yet to recognize it.  I'm definitely learning all about
the guts of the Turbo C++ compiler however! (Truly a learning
experience.)  Does anyone think that changing to the huge memory
model will help?

                                -Nearly insane,
                                   Sean
                                 ([email-masked])