Subject: PGlove, Shutter Glasses, HMD...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 93 21:56:13 EDT

I have been looking for the following components at a reasonable cost:

           o Power Glove (preferably for NES)
           o Shutter Glasses (preferably for Sega)
           o HMD (or components, preferably std. RGB connector, or able to
accept both RGB and NTSC signals)
           o Head-tracking device (and a Render386-compatible driver)
           o REND386 development kit
           o An ANSI C compiler

I have been looking for the first two items for some time.  When I found out
that Render 386 now supports head-tracking gear, I added the next two to my
list.  And, I need the source code and an inexpensive (or Shareware) compiler
to make my own VR environments.

If I haven't said this enough, Render 386 is the best deal on the market.  It
supports more equipment than SuperScape (which requires "only" a 486DX2-66
with a TIGA-based graphic card), costs about $8500 less, and is
user-supported.  Do you think the REND386 development team will come up the
the following items soon:

        o Interactive object-creation program
        o Texture-mapping (i.e. color patterns besides glass and metal)
        o A texture-map editor
        o Multi-color metallic maps (like in UltraForce, the overrated
development kit which costs more and has less)
        o Spheroid objects (Not like the kind in UForce.  It is possible to
make the balls actually shrink with distance)
        o CSG with primitives
        o etc., etc

BTW, I have found a problem with the joystick interface with the v4 demo -
the "strafe" (sorry for bringing in a Wolfenstein 3D term) works backwards
(i.e. strafe right moves person left, vice versa), and the tilt (look up and
down) works like an airplane.  The airplane I don't mind, (I play a lot of
flight simulators) but it was a bit of a surprise and took a while to get
used to.  Also, even though I obviously love to slander VRS and SuperScape, a
keyboard mode which feels like VRS would be nice.  (You know, move for/back
with O/K, etc.)

A note to the development team - Great work guys, keep it up!

                       -Joshua Shagam

Now if only I could find those components...