Subject: *.plg creation

From: William Meredith <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 1994 22:30:16 -0400 (EDT)

There has been a recent question regarding *.plg generators for creating 
objects for use with REND386. Because I thought this might be of general 
interest, I am posting to the group instead of answering the individual 
specifically.
	Although there are a few different ways that operate successfully
to cut creation time, they require either expensive software or patience. 
The two best ways are to use either AutoCad or 3dStudio to create your
environment, and then use a converter like dxf2plg.exe or 3ds2plg.exe
which will convert your files automatically. There is also a utility
called plgx.exe which will remove excess polygons and combine them as much
as possible to help speed things up. If you do not have the budget for the
AutoDesk programs, there is a program called OGRE.EXE which is available
from the PCVR bulletin board that uses a scripting language to create
rather complex *.plg objects with a minimum of hassle. As you might
expect, you have to create the object, load REND386, load the *.plg file
and see if it is what you expected. If not you must exit REND386, re-enter
OGRE and make your adjustments, recreate the object, exit OGRE, load
REND386, load the *.plg file,... etc. Somewhat tedious, but free. 
	Hope this is of some assistance! 
	Bill Meredith
	[email-masked]