Subject: bits & bytes

From: Ole Bredesen-Vestby <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1993 22:16:35 +0100

I see that the bending values for the fingers of the Powerglove are 
given in ONE byte. This means that each finger has only 4 bending 
positions. Are there possible to get more than 4 positions for each 
finger by changing the code, or is this set by the hardware? 

-Ole

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 93 7:43:27 EST

> finger by changing the code, or is this set by the hardware? 

It's a limitation of the hardware.  You'd have to hack apart a glove to
get better resolution (which can certainly be done).

One possible approach: hook the variable-resistance flex sensors to the
joystick port.  The joystick port can read up to four such resistors,
so it's a good match for the job.

Of course, you'd have to fiddle with the resistance a bit; I think joysticks
have 1k pots in them, not sure what the resistance across the glove's
flex sensors is.

-- 
	Bernie Roehl
        University of Waterloo Dept of Electrical and Computer Engineering
	Mail: [email-masked]
	Voice:  (519) 885-1211 x 2607 [work]