Subject: Sound with Rend386

From: [email-masked] (Jason Barile)
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 93 00:31:26 CDT

Maybe I'm sending out flames, but why on EARTH would the guy who added
sound to Rend386 use a new format? ("similar to .WAV")  With as much
conversionitis as is already hovering around Rend386, we don't need any
new-fangled formats.  If it's ever going to take off like we all want it
to, it's going to have to work with people well - not just cater to the 
homebrew hackers out there who like to keep up with the latest "this2that.exe"
and so on.  

My question is:  Why is the new format better, why not use .VOC or .WAV, or
even .MOD?  I don't know a lot about Sound Blaster programming, but I >do<
know what's already out there and what's popular, and what millions of BBS's
around the world ALREADY support.
 
-JB

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 93 00:25:03 EDT

Reply to [email-masked]

This format is probably "similar to .WAV" in the sense that it probably uses
no file header, or a slightly different one.  .MOD files are probably too
large and complicated to run in the background while everything is on at the
moment.  Maybe somebody could use 3d-sound techniques on a .MOD for the GUS
or PAS16 (they both have 3d-sound).  I've read in a book that there's a
system on the SGi which has 3d-sound where it does play music, and you can
tell where it is in the room.  Anyway, this format is probably the .SMP
format used in .MOD files - fixed at 11025Hz, monaural, and no header (just
pure, raw data)