Subject: Sound for Rend386

From: [email-masked] (Technically Sweet)
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1993 10:53:22 PST

If you want to do sound under DOS coexistent with rend386,
you have two choices for minimal CPU time: 2-op or 4-op FM synthesis
on the stereo soundblaster-type cards, or the gravis ultrasound.
The former makes a variety of 80s-style synthesized blats.
They don't sound very true; I have a library of 400 2-op
voices in netcom.com:pub/thinman/instr.tar.Z for the curious.

The latter has up to a meg of sample ram, and a 16-channel
stereo mixer chip.  You poke a few registers and it does
all the work, using its own ram.  Plus, you can take a sound
sample and generate versions around you (8 quadrant points)
and pan between them in real-time.  The GUS is absolutely
perfect for this job.  $170 street price around here.
No 16-bit sampling, I think, so you need an SB-type card
to do that.  Under Windows you get all the sound manipulation
software you need to get the job done.  The GUS has a very
nice toolkit; they've done the best job of all sound cards
on documentation.

-- 

Lance Norskog
[email-masked]
Data is not information is not knowledge is not wisdom.

---

From: [email-masked] (Technically Sweet)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 1994 14:11:16 PDT

They appear to have been deliberately designed to give you
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.  The upturned wrist position is very very
bad for you.

-- 

Lance Norskog
[email-masked]
Artisputtingtogether. Art  s th ow n  aw y.