Subject: Replies

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 93 22:14:21 EDT

People often wonder why they never see the replies sent by others in response
to another person's correspondence.  The reason is simple - people are using
the "Reply" command.  Because of the way the distribution net works, the
"Reply" command will send the mail directly to the origin of the original
message, skipping the distribution.  This is because when you send it to
[email-masked], the recipient immediately spreads the mail across
the net as if it were sent by hand to everybody from the origin.  (Those
message headers come in handy some times.)  If anybody in charge of the net
reads this, please send me a reply (by mailing to the distribution, not using
"reply").  I suspect that this mail address is only a news group.  An
advantage of doing this is so that everybody can see the source of the letter
in case they didn't include their address in the letter itself.  In fact,
when you read your list of letters, it (hopefully) doesn't say
[email-masked], but the source of the original letter.  Of
course, a way to fix this would be by having the news server append "From
[email-masked]..." at the beginning of the message, and we won't wonder why a
complete stranger sent us personal mail about wanting shutter glasses.
                                                 -Joshua Shagam
([email-masked]  <---  This would be good form for starters.  But mail a
reply to [email-masked], or my message will have fallen upon deaf
ears!)

:)