Subject: still working

From: Alex Keerie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 1995 14:25:06 PST

Hi, 

I'am currently using Rend386 for my final year project in England.
I had a little peek at Avril but felt Rend was much easier to get to
grips with first, and I am also using the book virtual creations for guidance.

As for the recent discussion on 3-d engines:-

>I don't believe it is fair to simply call Descent VR technology. Granted
>the game is good, but the graphics engine is very specific and cannot
>be used for general VR applications as Rend386 can.  I fully admit
>that Parallax (the company that coded the game, based in Champaign-Urbana)
>did some really neat things and I am still trying to figure out how they
>got 6DOF to work at a reasonable speed.  However, their engine is
>simply so specialized for descent/doom like games that it is virtually
>useless for anything.  So with that said I would say that Rend386 and
>AVRIL I imagine (haven't used it) are  still very useful packages.
>Though I use GL and OpenGL as most of my work is done on X-Stations.
>
>Jeff
>
>
>Jeff Thompson([email-masked])          Member of Alternate Aspects of Reality
>http://uxa.cso.uiuc.edu/~jwt55187        Computer Game Design Group

I totally agree, as the graphics engines are so specific, I doubt you would be
able to generate a solar system and then interact with it.

Alex