Subject: VRASP: Glove & Animation Workshops at IEEE ELECTRO '94

From: pflaging <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 1994 13:30:00 -0400 (EDT)

The Second PC-Based VR Glove Workshop
                               and
             The PC-Based Based VR Animation Workshop
                           sponsored by

     The Virtual Reality Alliance of Students and Professionals 

 >> conducted as part of IEEE's Electro '94 Conference at the <<
       >> Hynes Convention Center in Boston, Massachusetts <<
                        >> May 10-12, 1994 <<

Please call ELECTRO at 1-800-223-7126 or fax 1-(214)-385-9003 to 
receive a complete registration form by mail.  Space permitting, on-
site registration will be accepted.

The Power Glove workshops focus on the applications of a Mattel Power 
Glove(TM) with IBM Personal Computers. The Power Glove(TM) is a low 
cost alternative for three dimensional input.  Topics to be covered 
include:

	- Origins of the Power Glove(TM)
	- Interfacing the Glove and the PC
	- Glove operation and troubleshooting
	- Operating Virtual Reality Software with the Glove
	- Using Two Gloves Simultaneously
	- How to Write Programs that use the Glove with C/C++
	- How to Create Virtual Worlds on the PC
	- 3D (Stereoscopic) displays with LC Shutter Glasses
	- Gesture Recognition techniques

Participants will be given the opportunity to use gloves at the 
workshop.  VRASP provides the following equipment inclusive in the 
registration fee: one Mattel Power Glove(TM); one customized PC to 
single glove connector; two DOS formatted 3-1/2 inch diskettes of 
Glove driver code and VR software written by Mark Pflaging, workshop 
instructor, other freeware VR software, and one instruction manual.  
Software provided includes DOS and Windows programs to graphically 
display glove data and gestures from one or two gloves, with full 
source code.  See "SOFTWARE DETAILS" below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
NEW ANIMATION WORKSHOP

The VR Animation workshop focuses on the applications of computer 
animation within the realm of Virtual Reality on a PC.  Topics to be 
covered include:

  - Simple Creation and Manipulation of 3D Models within VR
  - Manipulation of Animation Figures and Keys within VR
  - Simulation of Physical properties like gravity and collisions
  - Introduction to a language that describes object behavior in VR
  - Using the Power Glove to facilitate VR interaction
  - Programming a simple VR game - tank battle

The contents of this course will be most interesting to people who 
already have some experiences in VR, and who want to learn about the 
latest method of creating VR experiences - from within VR itself!  
Attendees will learn of two complementary ways to create VR 
experiences - by directly manipulating objects in VR, and by writing 
concise programs to respond to input.  Knowledge of simple programming 
tasks is very helpful.  No special knowledge of programming techniques 
is needed.

VRASP provides software inclusive in the registration fee, on DOS 
formatted 3-1/2 inch diskettes, with the following features:
  - VR animation creation software
  - Pre-defined animation sequences
  - An easy-to-use interface for creating virtual objects
  - A simple VR language for animations and applications

-------------------------------------------------------------------
SOFTWARE DETAILS

It is required that the following equipment be available for home use 
of the software: minimum 386 PC compatible system with VGA graphics, 
and mouse.  The software can optionally support the following devices: 
up to two Power Gloves, 3D stereo shutter glasses, joystick, and a 
Sound Blaster(TM) sound card (or compatible).

Many aspects of the software were created by Mark Pflaging, the 
workshop instructor.  Documentation will be provided for each section 
of the software.  Virtual Reality software provided includes Rend386, 
written by Dave Stampe and Bernie Roehl.  (The software is provided on 
an as-is basis, however defective diskettes will be replaced.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------
DATES, TIMES, AND COST

For your convenience, the Power Glove workshop will be given three 
times during the ELECTRO show.  The cost of the workshop is $175, or 
$150 if you are a VRASP member.  Please see the registration form for 
more information.  Sign up early - this workshop is limited to 15 
attendees in each class.

Tuesday, May 10, 1994
3:00 PM - 5:00 PM

Wednesday, May 11, 1994
1:00 PM - 3:00 PM

Thursday, May 12, 1994
9:00 AM - 11:00 AM

The cost of the VR Animation workshop is $90, or $80 if you are a 
VRASP member.  The VR Animation workshop is offered once:

Wednesday, May 11, 1994
3:00 PM - 5:00 PM

Please call ELECTRO at 1-800-223-7126 or fax 1-(214)-385-9003 to 
receive a complete registration form by mail.  Space permitting, on-
site registration will be accepted.

VRASP is a non-profit organization that disseminates information 
about, and fosters interest in, virtual reality.   Power Glove is a 
trademark of Mattel.  Windows is a trademark of Microsoft Corporation.