Subject: Re: HI!

From: broehl (Bernie Roehl)
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 09:44:57 -0400 (EDT)

> I am interested in the latest version of Rend386 and where to get it 
> from. I have tried CompuServe but to no avail.

It's available on sunee.uwaterloo.ca, in the pub/rend386 directory.

> Also, generally, to everybody, what is the scope of this list?
> What about other VR products such as Avril, VR386, 2Morrow, Sense8 
> Virtual World Toolkit (Windows + NT) etc.

There's also Jon Blossom's "Gossamer" for the Mac, which uses the same
wld and plg file formats as REND386, AVRIL and VR386.

There'll soon be many more joining the fray; 3DR from Intel,
Reality Lab from Rendermorphics/Microsoft, Quickdraw 3D from Apple, etc etc.
There are also a lot of other rendering engines available; an excellent
summary of them is being kept on the Web, at the following URL:
<http://www.cs.tu-berlin.de/~ki/engines.html>.

> Is there another list, user 
> group or Forum that people frequent to discuss these products and 
> building virtual worlds.

There are a number of VR-related lists, but very few that discuss
programming issues.

I'm open to expanding the purpose of this list, if that's what people
want; I'll also be cleaning it up to get rid of a lot of the stale
addresses.

> 'Rend386' is good name for a VR list, regardless
> of product, because it is how a lot of people got there first experience
> of VR.

Fine by me.