Subject: Help with Sega-PC connection

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1993 22:35:50 GMT

Hi:
 
 I have the Sega shutter glasses but I dont know how to connect them.
 I have a doc with a depiction of the circuit that should do it, but
this isnt very accurate, since the pinouts for the IC are not ordered,
and there's no info on this; also there's no info on the 2N222 ( which
pin is the emitter, the collector, etc ?). This message has the doc that
I have appended, so that you can use if you didnt have it or refer to it
and try to help me :-)
 
 If anyone out there has successfully connected the Sega glasses to the PC,
could you please send me a more detailed circuit and info on the components
that I already have ? 
 
 Thanx in advance.
 
 My current info on the PC to Sega glasses connection follows.

--------------------------------
Circuit to connect SEGA 3D glasses to RS-232 port.
--------------------------------------------------

       RS-232
     DB25 / DB9
                                                   10K
RTS   4      7  Switching signal +/- 10V  --------vvvvv--+
                                                         |
                                                         |
GND   7      5  Ground ----+-------------+--+---------+--|----+
                           |             |  |         |  |    |
                           |             |  +-|>|--+  |  |    |
                           +--|>|--+    ---        |  |  |    |  Transistor
                                   |    ---  22 uF |  |  |    |   2N2222
                                   |     |         |  |  |  +-+---------+
                                   |     |         |  |  |  | Emitter   |
                                   |     |         |  |  |  |           |
DTR  20      4  Vdd +10V --|>|-----+-----+         +--|--+--+ Base      |
                                         |            |     |           |
                              +--+--+--+-+-vvvvv---+--|-----+ Collector |
                              |  |  |  |    10K    |  |     |           |
                              |  |  |  |           |  |     +-----------+
                      +-------+--+--+--+-----------+--+--+
                      |       1  9  13 14          5  7  |
                      |                                  |
                      |   RCA CD 4030 Quad XOR gate      |
                      |                                  |
                      | 2 11  12       3  6  8   10   4  |
                      +-+--+---+-------+--+--+----+---+--+
                        |  |   |       |  |  |    |   |
                        +--+   |       +--+--+    |   +--- Outside of jack
                           |   |             |    |
                           |   +-vvvvv-+     |    +------- Middle of jack
                           |      22K  |     |
                           |           |     +------------ Centre of jack
                           +-vvvvv-----+     |
                              22K      |     |
                                      ---    |
                              .01 uF  ---    |
                                       |     |
                                       +-----+

Diode:     --|>|--

Resistor:  --vvvvv--

Capacitor:   |
            ---
            ---
             |

This is my best attempt at a rendition of the circuit which connects my
SEGA glasses to my AT. I didn't design the circuit -- I'm a software
rather than hardware person. In fact I barely understand it -- as far as
I can tell, the .01uF capacitor & the 22K resistors act as a delay. The
outputs of the XOR gates feed back into their own inputs, thus producing
an oscillator. The "jack" mentioned in the diagram is the mini-jack
which is connected as standard to the glasses. "Centre", "middle", and
"outside" relate to the external connections, looking at the thing
end-on.

Disclaimer: The circuit diagram above may be entirely wrong. My
description may be wrong.

Caveat emptor... to paraphrase the standard software licence agreement:
It's as good as I can get it. If it doesn't work or blows up your
computer or your glasses and blinds you for life, I'll give you back all
the money you paid me.

Good Luck...    Frank.

--------------------------------------