Subject: Announcing AVRIL

From: Bernie Roehl <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 94 10:07:57 EDT

Release 0.9b of AVRIL is now available for anonymous ftp from
sunee.uwaterloo.ca in the pub/avril directory.  It should also be available
from wuarchive.wustl.edu in the pub/MSDOS_UPLOADS/graphics/avril directory.
The filename in both cases is "avril09b.zip".

AVRIL is a polygon-based 3D rendering engine, designed to be easier to
program with than REND386.  It's written almost entirely in ANSI C, and
will eventually be ported to a number of different platforms.  Full use of
the package currently requires the Borland C compiler.

This is essentially a pre-release of the software; the 1.00 release will
probably be out in a week or so, but I've been getting so much email about
it lately that I decided to release what I have so far.  (The name "AVRIL"
is also French for April, so I wanted to get it out by the end of this
month).

There's no mailing list for AVRIL yet, but there will be soon.  In the
meantime, if you have any comments or suggestions, send me email with the
word AVRIL in the subject line and I'll try to get back to you.

---

From: [email-masked] (Reggae Ambassador)
Date: Fri, 6 May 94 09:11:40 -0400

Hey Bernie,
	Thhe first thing that I have to say is that I had REND386 and i I
bought the book VRC, I was never able to write any thing using rend.  I
got AVRIL from sunee a few hours ago and have already done all the examples 
with modifications.  Excelent work.  The only thing is can I create all
shapes , say rings and arcs, eith the given primatives? Will the official
release have support for the "GLOVE" and stuff (not really in mportant, compared)
to other shapes)?

Good Work!!!

...Conrad

P.S. Keep my address for the mailing list please, and if there is any thing 
I can do to help let me know.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 14 May 94 19:50:46 MESZ

Dear user:

Well, I must say that AVRIL is really a good work. But it is TOOO slow! The free
VR packages have all a problem and that is the speed. Don't believe that using
full C programming will make VR on personal computer better. It is really
nessesary to program in assembler at critical parts. Look at the example like
flight simulators on the PC. At today's situation I would prefer to use a mix
by VR386 and AVRIL.

Yueshi Lai
[email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT! 	This message is send, because of possible FidoNet problems, from a
			public account of my site, names under the administrator of the 
			site, in the local universities center for computer science. Please 
			reply to "[email-masked]"! 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------