Subject: Pointer-device drivers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 93 00:31:49 EDT

How does one make drivers for pointing devices (i.e. PowerGloves)?

I was remembering something I heard at Cornell about hooking up electrodes to
muscles and reading flexion information directly from the muscle.  Any help
would be appreciated.  And, I could send you a schematic of the resulting
apparatus and a UUEncoded device driver!

Or, I could figure out how position on the PGlove is measured and try to make
a controller where it outputs the information into the serial port.

There are two good reasons for this type of interface:
1.) Expense.  The device would cost literally dimes (as dimes make good
electrodes)
2.) Human factors which include:
  A.) That annoying "chirping" which PGlove supposedly does (I've never
actually heard a PGlove in operation)
  B.) Bulky equipment - why wear a heavy, sweaty glove when you can use your
OWN equipment?
  C.) Expandability - from this one can easily make a DataSuit-type thing and
even add "virtual appendages"

In any case, let me know anything which could be useful in this matter.

Sincerely,
Joshua Shagam