Subject: RE: 2 Gloves on 1 PC

From: "Mark T. Pflaging" <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Mar 93 00:54:14 EST

Chris Hand wrote:
"Presumably you can't actually *use* 3-D glasses with 2 people at 
the same time, since their heads would have to occupy the same 
physical space to get the perspective right...? (or do you have an 
optical work-around?)."

Well I just made a connector that supports two separate pairs of 
glasses.  The perspective is a little bit off for each of the 
people, but in fact you can move your head around (while wearing 
the LCD specs), without destroying the 3D effect.  It doesn't look 
"right" - the perspective does not adjust to your viewing angle - 
but it still looks 3D.  I have no "optical work around."

In terms of building the 2 glasses connector, I did NOT simply add 
another jack.  I'm pretty sure that, because of the power consumed 
by the LCDs, one 4030 chip will support only one pair of glasses. 
 I could be completely wrong about this however.  (The next time I 
get my hands on another pair of 3D specs I'll test it out.)  What 
I _DID_ do was to take two identical , but separate, connectors 
and wire them to the same serial port.  Perhaps a diagram:  (I'm 
no ASCII artist tho.)

THIS WORKS:
       +-----------+
       |Serial Port|
       +-----------+
	 |   |   |
	 |   |   |
         +-----------------------+
         |   |   |		 |
	 |   +-----------------------+
	 |   |   |               |   |
         |   |   +-----------------------+
	 |   |	 | 		 |   |   |
      +-------------+      +-------------+
      | Connector 1 |      | Connector 2 |
      +-------------+      +-------------+
             |             	   |
             |                     |
           _   _                 _   _
          /.\_/.\               /.\_/.\ 
          \_/ \_/               \_/ \_/
         (glasses)             (glasses)

THIS PROBABLY DOESN"T WORK:
       +-----------+
       |Serial Port|
       +-----------+
	 |   |   |
	 |   |   |
	 |   |	 |
      +-------------+
      | Connector 1 |
      +-------------+
             |
	     +---------------------+
             |                     |
           _   _        
          /.\_/.\               /.\_/.\ 
          \_/ \_/               \_/ \_/
         (glasses)             (glasses)

"What's the "Toshiba 3 Dimension Scope" -- is it a new device or 
is it the full name for the Tosh 3-D specs?"

They are one and the same.  The official carrying case that came 
with my pair reads "Toshiba 3D 3 Dimension Scope VDG3D1".

While I'm posting this, I wanted to know more about the following 
tidbit from the PGSI FAQ sheet:  "Another of our members
Chris Wilson ([email-masked]) has writen a windows 3.1 
application called Maestro II.  Maestro allows you to use the 
glove on a virtual keyboard that outputs to a midi device."  Does 
anyone have any more information on this program?  What it does?  
Is it useful or a toy?  Is there a "parallel hack" version?  
Thanks.

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------
 |      / |^\        /| |^^^\ |^\      Mark Pflaging, Vice President
 |    /   |___\    /  | |____ |___\    Senior Editor of Pix-Elation
 |  /     |\     /----|      ||        [email-masked]
 |/       |  \ /      | \___/ |
 The Virtual Reality Alliance of Students and Professionals___________