Subject: merging .wld

From: [email-masked] (Todd Porter)
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 93 07:55:00 +0000

Bob Mason said,

SI>What have you done with these virtual menus?  What functionality do
SI>they have?  Are they the built in text menus of Rend - or have you
SI>coded something new?  I'm currently on a project where we're going to
SI>have to write some code for new menus and was wondering if we could
SI>use your code if it's what we need.

Unless your app. is already set in stone it prob won't help.  What I did
was create an object with diff. sections on it (looks like the one in
Lawnmower Man), then I test for a collision of the different
rectangles.  But you must know which is which and which corresponds to
the world you want to load.  Not flexible at all.  However, in theory
why not create an alphabet in .plgs read in the .wld files and match
each char to the appropriate. .plg and build the menu that way.  Still
limited but more flexible.  Also you would want to keep some kind of
index into the menu.

The ones in PCVRJET where nice but they just didn't give off a good
effect.  I needed to be able to see more of a 3d type thing!

Todd Porter

---
 ~ SLMR 2.1a ~ >> Internet: [email-masked]  Rime: ->585 <

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 93 12:10:03 -0600

Why not have something icon-driven?  (i.e. make a small .PLG to
represent the world, whatever.)  These icons could be put up on a large
object or arranged in a logical manner.

Another idea is to have a smaller, less-detailed version of the world
inside a cube and when the cube is selected, that world becomes the
current world.  These cubes could be arranged in some logical manner as
well, i.e. having them arranged as if they were one big world (because they ARE!)

Joshua Shagam