Subject: world.c & Borland C

From: Paul Prescod <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1993 10:12:24 -0500

I'm having a really hard time compiling world.c with Borland C++
version 2.  It keeps running out of memory on the function read_world.
Is there anyone who has compiled it already with a compatible compiler and
could send me the .obj?

BTW, I think Bernie should teach a course: "How to optimize your
programs by avoiding function calls." :)  By my count, read_world is
about 400 lines long.

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephen D. Williams)
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1993 00:19:46 -0500 (EST)

> programs by avoiding function calls." :)  By my count, read_world is
Please....

400 lines is nothing.  Have you been writing with Pascal guidelines?

A big module (a la GNU g++ .c's..) is gcc combine.c 323K and 9609 lines long.
Now there's a module.
In gcc:
There are 114 .c files amounting to: 8.4MB and over 278K lines of source,
not including .h or config files.  The Makefile has 1867 lines....

400 lines is just a sniffle of code....

Better grow up if you want to be a punker boy....  (O	\\
						     -=< |)
						   (O   //

Ok, I admit it: after a few satisfying 10K+ lines projects, I've spent too
much time designing to death and writing documents.  I've become rusty and
am trying to crank code again....  If I wasn't info-overloaded.....

sdw