Subject: NEW RELEASE OF REND386

From: Bernie Roehl <broehl>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 92 17:00:13 EDT

The second major release of the REND386 package is almost complete.

The new demo is available now on sunee.uwaterloo.ca in the pub/rend386
directory; the filename is "demo2.zip".  The old version of the demo and
the old developer's toolkit is in pub/rend386/old (and even older versions
are in directories below that).

The new developer's toolkit is finished; I'm just working on the documentation.
It should be available in a day or two, and we'll post an announcement to the
list when it's ready.

CHANGES: the package now supports 256 color mode, and no longer requires the
presence of a .bgi driver file (we were only using that for initialization and
text, anyway, and now that's all handled internally).  We also support moving
objects individually (requires a mouse), and we have implemented hierarchical
segmented figures.  We also support two new "surface types".

IMPORTANT NOTES:

    Sorry, but neither Dave nor I have the time to mail out individual copies
    of the code, either electronically or on floppies.

    If you don't have FTP, you can retrieve the packages using ftpmail.  Send
    a mail message containing just the word "help" (without the quotation
    marks) in the *body* of the message (not the subject line) to the
    following address: [email-masked]
    That site will then send you back an email message describing how to use
    ftpmail to retrieve the file(s) you want.  Be sure to read the
    instructions carefully, and follow them exactly; if you have problems,
    try talking to a guru at your site.  Please don't ask Dave or me to
    help you through it. 

    Again, Dave and I have only so much time available, and we'd much rather
    spend it working on enhancing the software than on helping people work
    their way around Unix, DOS, ftp, ftpmail, zip, etc etc

    If you don't have pkunzip, you can get it in the same directory as the
    demo2.zip file itself.  Remember to transfer both demo2.zip and
    pkunzip.exe in Binary mode!

    If you have any questions/problems/suggestions, please send them to
    me ([email-masked]) or Dave ([email-masked]).
    If you think they're of more general interest, you can send them to
    the mailing list ([email-masked]).  Requests to be added to
    or deleted from the list, or changes of electronic mailing address, should
    be sent to [email-masked] (not to the list).

    Happy rendering!

-- 
	Bernie Roehl, University of Waterloo Electrical Engineering Dept
	Mail: [email-masked] OR [email-masked]
	BangPath: uunet!watmath!sunee!broehl
	Voice:  (519) 885-1211 x 2607 [work]