Subject: logitech

From: [email-masked]
Date: 14 Aug 92 14:36

The Logitech trackers!

          >The cable on the head tracker is a bit short, though
          >(hopefully extensins will be available.

          Hi Dave,
          Great to hear that you have a developer's kit!  My vote (as
          if my vote isn't biased) would be SUPPORT the Logitech
          tracker!  It is the least expensive, high quality tracker
          available.  Not only that, it is made by a very reputable
          company.

          Currently only the 3D Mouse developer's kit is available
          ($1000).  This allows developers to create applications
          for either the Head Tracker or the 3D Mouse.  In September
          we are releasing the Head Tracker product and the end user
          pricing should be $799.  Admittedly, that's a lot of money
          for the homebrew gang but it is less than 1/2 of the closest
          competition.  And in the case of one competitor it is 1/6th
          the price.  And just for you Dave, the Head Tracker will
          come with a 9.5' receiver cable.

          >I would suggest one of 2 ways to use the head tracker: put
          >it on front of the HMD and accept limited head rotation, or
          >put the transmitter on the ceiling, and the triange on top
          >of the HMD.  This will give a position range limited by the
          >ceiling height, but lets you turn around completely.

          The two modes you recommend seem to be how almost everyone
          is using the Head Tracker.  Either, the transmitter is
          mounted overhead (the immersion people) or it is mounted
          above the monitor (the stereoscopic glasses people).  In the
          former case, you are limited in roll and pitch, but you get
          360 degrees of yaw.  In the later case, since looking at
          your monitor has a line of sight restriction, the tracker
          isn't adding any additional constraints.

          >So: should REND386 support this?  I understand PCVR is
          >going to do something on it next issue, but it might be
          >worth building it in as the default head tracker and
          >secondary manipulator.  Comments?  Should we be looking at
          >drivers installable later?

          Joseph's PCVR Issue 5 will highlight head trackers and if
          all goes well there should be an article!  Of course I'd say
          go for it, but as an added incentive; one pointer driver
          will support both the Head Tracker and the 3D Mouse.  And
          these products are brand new, so there is lots to look
          forward to.
          Cheers, James

          P.S.  There is a 3D Mouse Forum on the Logitech Technical
          Support Bulletin Board Service (BBS).  The number is (510)
          795-0408 and it operates at 2400bps, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit
          and no parity.  When you finally get to the main prompt
          (only a hassle the first time), just type GO 3DMAIN.  There
          are drivers there for both the PC and the SGI platforms as
          well as some simple applications.  No need to write a driver
          for REND386, though, it is well under way.
- Dave Stampe