Subject: Devel5 .exe size!

From: "Mark T. Pflaging" <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Oct 93 16:55:33 EDT

Hi!
	I have checked out the new version of the source code and I am very 
pleased!  I'm glad that there are no warnings, and that the code is nicely 
organized and formatted.
	Jerry Isdale wrote, " One disturbing thing to me, is that while 
both my compiled version and the book version claim to be of 5/9/93, mine 
is 365Kb and the book version is only 212Kb. DAVE: what did you add? i see 
the logitech tracker stuff is in the devel5, but that shouldnt make it grow 
by 140K!"
	Todd Porter wrote, "...WOW!!!  Thats getting kinda big!  Once I add 
the routines I have it's going to knock the conventional mem out...."

	Well, the answer is that there is debug info included in the 
version you generated. 
 The default settings for the makefile include the generation of certain 
debug information.  You can edit the makefile or the project file to change 
the debug settings, referring to your Borland documentation if you have 
never done this before.
	*Even* if you turn off *All* of the debug generation options, there 
will still be *some* debug info in the final executable.  Soooo, how does 
one "STRIP" this excess debug info?

	TDSTRIP.EXE

which is supplied with every Borland compiler I think.  It will be in the 
"bin" directory.  Once I ran "tdstrip" on the resulting "rend386.exe", the 
file was within a hundred bytes of the book version.

	I have been continuing to work on the "bob"ed version of rend386.  
I'll keep everyone posted when it is in a releasable state.

		-Mark Pflaging