Subject: Re: logitech

From: [email-masked] (Chris Hand {at home})
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 92 21:05:53 GMT

In message <[email-masked]> you write:
>Well, I just tried out the Logitech 6D mouse/ head tracker prototype.
>Seems to work OK and best of all, YOU CAN USE IT WITH THE POWERGLOVE.
> [ ... ]
>I would suggest one of 2 ways to use the head tracker: put it on front of 
>the HMD and accept limited head rotation, or put the transmitter on the
>ceiling, and the triange on top of the HMD.  This will give a position range 
>limited by the ceiling height, but lets you turn around completely.

Virtual Research's "flight helmet" (sometimes) has a Logitech tracker
on it.  They mount the triangle on top.

Any idea what sort of prices they're asking for the tracker alone?
(Isn's there someone from Logitech on this list?)

>So: should REND386 support this?  I understand PCVR is going to do something
>on it next issue, but it might be worth building it in as the default 
>head tracker and secondary manipulator.  Comments?  Should we be looking
>at drivers installable later?

Maybe having "installable" drivers for I/O devices would be a good idea,
especially if people are going to start developing programs using the
REND386 libaries.  Having a generic interface to gloves/trackers would
enable us to use better low-end devices as (or if) they become available.

Anyone know how to write DOS device drivers? :-)

Chris Hand
[email-masked]

--
---Chris Hand---------------------------------------------------------------
  Work: [email-masked]      | Home: [email-masked]
   Fax: +44 533 541891       | FIDOnet: "Chris Hand"@2:440/32.50 
 Voice: +44 533 551551 x8476 |