Subject: Rend386 Data Navigator Idea

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1993 15:38:11 -0700

I would like to see an app with:

A rear view mirror (#)
Side windows ([ or ])
Message Area (m)
Main (forward) view (=)

all on one screen like this:
[[[[[ =====###===== ]]]]]]
[[[[[ ============= ]]]]]]
[[[[[ ============= ]]]]]]
sssss ============= mmmmmm

The rear and side views are lower resolution, and consider your head
to be a certain distance from the screen.  The message area is a
small text window.  When you move the mouse over a given object, it
will place text in the message window.  Also, a good place for a 'cb'
on a multi-user system.

I would solve the menu issue with touchable objects:  When the mouse
cursor is above the object, it's name appears in the message window. 
You click on the object to activate it.  So say I have an elevator
with different button objects.  There is no text on them, but when I
move the mouse over them I can see what they are.  Say I press the
button for 3rd floor, the elevator moves my viewpoint (or self
object) up to wherever the 3rd floor is.  These buttons would have
a unique appearance, say an anycolor triangle on a blue square, so
they would be easy to identify as touchable.

The side windows and rear view mirror (just windows with the
viewpoint rotated) help give more presence on screen without
additional hardware.

=rando=
(I speak only for myself)

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Williams)
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1993 11:40:48 -0500 (EST)

I would really like to persue this.  I've been thinking of these types
interfaces for a while.

My immediate interest is a front-end to my LIG (Local Internet
Gateway) to allow users to efficiently navigate local and remote
resources.  This includes email, news, IRC/other chats, gopher, wais,
MUD's, etc.

Preferably, something that ran in DOS, Windows, and Unix would be
great, along with a character version.  The proposal below could even
have a character version.

I severely dislike the navigation and usability of most BBS software.
My multi-window workstation/X setup is far better with real power
tools.  I'd like to provide BBS like accessability with Unix/Internet
power.

I like your keystrokes and I'm sure I'll use them...  Hope you don't mind.

A rendered terminal emulator would be fantastic!  Different channels
to feed text, graphics, and sound to panes, object population and
movement, etc.

-- 
Stephen D. Williams  Local Internet Gateway Co.; SDW Systems 513 496-5223APager
LIG dev./sales       Internet: [email-masked] CIS [email-masked]
OO R&D Source Dist.  By Horse: 2464 Rosina Dr., Miamisburg, OH 45342-6430
GNU Support          ICBM: 39 34N 85 15W I love it when a plan comes together