Subject: BCC memory problems

From: Michael Snoswell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 92 15:13:04 CST

In regards to compiling the rend386 code....

>
>I actually replied directory to Chris Hand on this, but I forgot the
>response wouldn't go to the list.  Here's a (slightly different?)
>version of what I sent him...
>
[deleted bits]
>
>Not Microsoft (they don't have 386 inline support yet, apparently).
>I haven't tried GNU CC.
>

MSC 7.0 does inline assembler, if someone cares to try it.

[deleted bits]
>
>> 	   I'm running MS-DOS 5.0 with HIMEM.SYS & EMM386 (noems)
>
>Same here.
>
>> 	   and have stacks=10,512...
>
>I don't have a "stacks=" at all.
> 

Changing stacks from the default (8,128 I think) uses a heap more
memory (no pun intended). Change emm386 to have EMS and specify how
much memory, just by adding a bumber, in kb, to the line, perhaps
1000. BCC will then have 1meg more memory! I thought BCC would find
the extra memory itself, seems it's not smart enough.

Remember on a 4meg machine, if you do this, windows 3.1 will see less
than 4 meg of memory and start up in standard mode!

cheers
	Michael Snoswell

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Michael Snoswell                         [email-masked]  
  Vision Systems Limited                   +61 8 343 0610 <- note the change
  South Australia                          "Profound and witty quote"