Subject: Rend386 Users Guide.

From: [email-masked] (McEWAN Shane)
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 92 12:07:58 +1000

Has a users guide to rend386 been written?
The supplied documentation doesn't really tell you _HOW_ to incorporate the
rend386 libraries into your own application.
(i.e. which routines do you call to define and rotate a cube in 3D or some such)
And, I must be honest, the demo program is probably too complicated to learn
how to use each function.

Instead of having one demo that does everything, a number of demos that give an
example of what each routine can do would possibly be more appropriate for
someone just beginning to get into 3D graphics programming.

OK, I must admit, I am relatively new to C programming......but I've written a
number of applications for Silicon Graphics machines with no trouble at all.

So, are these just the ramblings of an old BASIC programmer trying to come
to terms with C? Or, have I got a valid argument? Does anyone have some nice
simple code they would like to share?

Oh well, if anything, this might see some action on this list. *smirk*
  
  Shane McEwan     CSIRO Division of Atmospheric Research    [email-masked]
================================================================================
           "We have to believe in free will. We've got no choice."
                          - Isaac Bashevis Singer
================================================================================
Aspendale, Victoria, Australia 3195  Phone: +61 3 586 7503  Fax: +61 3 586 7600

---

From: Dave Stampe-Psy+Eng <dstamp@watserv1>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 92 00:04:54 -0400

I agree that short demos would be a good idea.  Only problem is, neither
I nor Bernie has time to write them right now!  Is there anyone out there
who wants to volenteer?

- Dave Stampe

---

From: [email-masked] (Joseph D. Gradecki)
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 92 22:23:27 -0600

The next issue of PCVR will be dedicated to Rend386.  We will go indepth 
into using Rend386 for objects, figures, the sega/powerglove interface, etc.
The previous issue of PCVR ( third ) included a virtual hand program that
uses the Powerglove.  This program is a skeleton for using Rend386 for
your own programs.

joe

---

From: [email-masked] (Technically Sweet)
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 92 22:33:22 PDT

On Jul 1, 12:07pm, McEWAN Shane wrote:  

> OK, I must admit, I am relatively new to C programming......but I've
> written a number of applications for Silicon Graphics machines with no
> trouble at all.

> So, are these just the ramblings of an old BASIC programmer trying to
> come to terms with C? Or, have I got a valid argument? Does anyone have
> some nice simple code they would like to share?

No, you're just coming from a graphics library which is unusually
well-designed from a programmer's POV, to one that's a first attempt.

Of course, with a good example to learn from, it's a little silly
to write your own bad library interface...

Seriously guys, GL is very very nice to code in.

Lance Norskog

---

From: Dave Stampe-Psy+Eng <dstamp@watserv1>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 92 09:35:00 -0400

I'd be interested in seeing an advance copy and perhaps commenting on it.
Since the next release of REND386 is going to have some really neat
additions, I might be able to add something about them.

- Dave Stampe

---

From: Dave Stampe-Psy+Eng <dstamp@watserv1>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 92 09:42:10 -0400

> From [email-masked] Wed Jul  1 01:37:52 1992
> From: [email-masked] (Technically Sweet)
> To: [email-masked] (McEWAN Shane), rend386@sunee
> Subject: Re: Rend386 Users Guide.
> 

Which areas of REND386 do you feel are the ones that need most improvement?
Since the world/object philosophy is somewhat different than GL, they'll
never be the same.  Some of the viewport stuf "just happened" as well, but
I'm sure interfaces can be written to get pseudo-GL paradigms into the
system.  With further additions, the system will just get further from GL:
for example, what would GL make of the "splits" we are adding that make walls 
opaque?   Anyway, comment away.

- Dave Stampe