Subject: LCD Glasses problem...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 2 May 93 23:34:46 CDT

Hi folks,

     I've been playing around with REND386 and a pair of LCD glasses for a while
now, and I've experienced a problem that I'd like to get some input on.  

     It seems that the shutters on the glasses are not darkening completely,
resulting in 'residual imaging' to the left and right of the image being 
viewed.  I assume that others have experienced this as well, and I'm hoping
that there's an inexpensive fix.

     I'm using a pair of Nintendo glasses along with a Sega interface.

     Any info would be appreciated.

     Randy

---

From: Chris Hand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 May 93 0:25:06 BST

> that there's an inexpensive fix.

I recently got out my SEGA specs and put the interface in a proper box, so
I checked out the synch again.

On my specs I can see REND386's "R" (in top right of screen), but I can't
see the "L" with my right eye.  As far as actual worlds are concerned, 
some stuff seems to bleed through worse than other stuff -- probably a 
combination of the contrast (white borders seem to ghost badly) and
colours used (an LCD person here tells me they respond badly to green).

Hint #1: Turning up the brightness and switching off other lights in
         the room helps a lot.

Hint #2: When building the SEGA circuit (the one without a 555) avoid
         handling the 4070 or 4030 CMOS chip until the last minute, and
         even then (a) Earth yourself first, and (b) don't touch the pins.
         This is standard procedure for handling CMOS, and I always do it,
         except yesterday when I killed a 4070 stone dead by touching the
         pins once by accident.  Good job I had a spare... Take care!

It wouldn't be *that* difficult to hack up a circuit that strips the
vertical blanking signal from the video and gates the LCD on/off signals
accordingly (assuming that we're actually getting L/R on alternate
video frames).  It would be less convenient having to connect up the
video cable, but should be "foolproof".

Has anyone already tried this?  Sync stripper chips are easy to come by...

Chris

--
Chris Hand, Lecturer                Internet mail: [email-masked]
Dept of Computing Science,          Voice: +44 533 551551 x8476
De Montfort University, The Gateway,  Fax: +44 533 541891  FIDOnet: 2:440/32.50
LEICESTER, UK   LE1 9BH             >> Linux: *free* unix for IBM PCs! <<