Subject: More on {un}subscribe messages

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 94 12:20:04 -0700

This was sent to us back in June; it still applies!

------- Forwarded Message

From: Bernie Roehl <[email-masked]>
Subject: Important changes to the REND386 email list
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 93 7:02:26 EDT

There are now over 300 people on the rend386 mailing list, and with the
upcoming release of "Virtual Reality Creations" (the book that Dave, myself
and John Eagan have written) there may be an influx of new readers.

That may mean an increase in traffic.  Here's what we plan to do about it.

As a first step, I'm splitting the existing rend386 mailing list into two
pieces: an announcement list and a discussion list.

The announcement list will be used *only* for announcements of new software
related to rend386, new PLG files, new worlds, and so on.  It will be a very
low-traffic list (it should peak around one article per week, and the average
will be even lower).  If that kind of information is all you're interested in,
then this is the list for you.

The discussion list will be for items of a more technical nature; problems
with compiling and linking, questions about algorithms, ideas for additional
features for rend386, and so on.  The traffic on this list will be highly
variable, but if other lists are any indication there will be "bursts" of
interesting discussions followed by long periods of quiet contemplation.

Initially, everyone who's on the existing rend386 list will be on both lists.
Note that this does not mean an increase in traffic!  It's just that the
(infrequent) announcements will be sent to you via a different address.
If you're happy with the way things are going now, then do nothing and
everything will be the same.

If you want to be taken off the discussion list, send email to
[email-masked] (the same address you use to subscribe).
If you want to be taken off the announcement list too, send email to
[email-masked] and we'll take care of it.

I mentioned above that this is a "first step".  The next step may be to
change the "discussion" list into a digest format, and to get into
more sophisticated, automated mailing-list software.  If anyone has
any recommendations for a Unix-based package for doing that sort of thing,
I'd love to hear them.

Finally, if anyone has any strong objections to any of the above, now is a
good time to voice them.

Thanks for your patience.

------- End of Forwarded Message