Subject: StereoGraphics to release cheaper LCD glasses

From: Rory Johnston <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 19:57:28 AST

Having just recently joined this mailing list, I am not sure if anyone has
heard this yet, but thought I'd say it anyway.
While looking for a pair of LCD Shutter Glasses from various manufacturers,
in desperation, I contacted Stereographics to ask about their CrystalEyes
system.  Of course, the first thing I wanted to know was the price.  I
can't remember exact figures, but the basic numbers were $500 for the glasses,
$200 for the IR transmitter.  Needless to say, I was shocked.  For that kind
of price, I'd expect the glasses to walk over, hook themselves up, and put 
themselves on my head while singing to me.  I personally can't imagine why
they are so expensive, but I'm sure there is a reason.  
Anyway, the point is, the sales rep. asked what I planned to use the glasses
for, and I responded, home VR. (or something like that).  So, he tells me
that StereoGraphics is, in fact, currently preparing to release a set of
LCD shutter glasses for home use, called "SimulEyes" (sp?).  Aparantly, these
would be using the same basic stuff as the CrystalEyes, but toned down for
the home market in an unspecified way.  (Apparently, the CrystalEyes are
'industrial strength').  My first question, of course, was, "how much?".  
They're supposed to cost $180 upon release, in mid-September.  This is the
date StereoGraphics is shooting for, but if they can't hit it, they
guarantee release before Christmas (of course).  They are supposed to be 
released all across North America.
I guess I'm wondering a couple things:
Has anybody tried the CrystalEyes system?  If so, what is it like?
What do you think of the price?  (Chances are, it will lower after a few
months)
Is the original CrystalEyes system compatible with Rend386?
And finally, although having NOTHING to do with the above questions, this
has plagued me for some time.
Is the a version 6 of Rend386?  If so, where can I get it?  And where are
.WLD and .PLG files distributed?
Any answers are always appreciated (and desperately needed :)!

---

From: Donald Sawdai <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 11:06:48 -0400

>released all across North America.

I have not tried them, but the 3D-Max LCD glasses (http://www.ThreeD-MAX.udac.se)
have been shipping for a while, and they sell for $179.  According to their
literature, it comes with an expansion card and works under both DOS and
Windows.  I do know the Descent supports these glasses already, so I imagine that
other software does also...

--
-> The Generic .signature File (tm)                                      <-
-> Name   : Donald Sawdai                                                <-
-> Address: [email-masked]                                      <-
-> Quote of the Day: "All work and no pay makes Jack a grad student."    <-