Subject: Lindenmeyer Systems engine available

From: [email-masked] (Technically Sweet)
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 92 14:35:16 -0800

Hi-

An algorithmic tree-model-generator is available.
Would be very handy for building worlds.

From comp.graphics:

The L-system interpreter graphtal 1.0 is available 
again via anonymous FTP at iamsun.unibe.ch (130.92.64.10) and 
is found as /Graphics/graphtal-1.0.tar.Z or 
/Graphics/graphtal_no_bison_no_flex-1.0.tar.Z.

______________________________________________________________

Sorry for the inconvenience, but we had to remove graphtal
from our FTP server for the following reason:

Jonathan P. Leech ([email-masked]) blamed me for not including
references to his L-system package 'lsys'. There's no excuse for
my behaviour. Anyhow, I'd like to apologize for misusing Jon 
Leech's effort in that way and I hope that he is satisfied with 
the references added. Please look at the README file for more 
details.
______________________________________________________________

graphtal is an L-system interpreter and is e.g. useful for the
following tasks:

o generation of geometric objects like trees, plants, 
  skyscrapers, ...
o you can produce different kinds of output including 
  output for rayshade, X11 or ppm (portable pixmap).
o you can use the models produced by graphtal in your own images.
o you can compute animations with graphtal (refer to the examples).
o some example L-system descriptions are included (birchtree, 
  firtree, a plant, ...) to start with.

Features of graphtal:

o  D0L-systems,
o  tables of productions,
o  productions with parameters,
o  stochastically applied productions,
o  global and local constants,
o  hull definitions (turtle interpretation with regard to
   these hulls),
o  production parameters may be strings or real values,
o  animations support,
o  turtle interpreter with macros,
o  preview for X11,
o  Z-buffer preview and output for rayshade.

What you will need:

- C++ compiler 
- bison and flex (if not available get graphtal_no_bison_no_flex.tar.Z)
- rayshade 4.0.6 and the URT toolkit (necessary for the rayshade driver)

Supported platforms:

- Sun SparcStations with Sun C++ 2.1, Sun C++ 3.0, AT&T 2.0, AT&T 3.0
  and g++ 2.2.2
- IBM RS/6000 with AT&T C++ 2.0
- DEC Station with DEC C++ 1.0 or g++

Examples:

In the directory graphtal/Examples some interesting L-systems are 
included. The animation scripts will need nawk or gawk in order
to work.

Please send bugs (accompanied by L-systems causing them),
interesting L-systems for inclusion in the release, enhancements,
and suggestions to the author via email.

Christoph Streit ([email-masked])