Subject: Making .RVDs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 93 00:14:17 EDT

Does anybody know how to create RVDs?  (You know, video drivers...)  I want
to try to make one for my SpeedStar Pro, possibly even a TrueColor version! 
(640x480x16.7M on my SSP is faster than 640x480x16 on standard VGA. 
Actually, faster than 320x200x256 on std VGA as well.)  A TrueColor version
would be nice because there would be a palette of 65536 colors each with 256
shades!  (Now if there were only a decent-speed texture-mapping algorithm
which didn't require an SGi Opal...)

                                        Tnx in advance,
                                        Joshua Shagam

---

From: Jerry Isdale <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Sep 93 11:53:02 EDT

Joshua Shagam writes: Does anybody know how to create RVDs?  
  There is an older file called drkit.zip on sunee that was for creating
various plug in drivers. However! Making Rend work with anything other than the
built in video modes is NOT EASY. V5 might be better, but there were a LOT of
places deep inside Rend that assumed you were working in 320x200 ModeX. I know
a couple people who have made complete new versions of Rend-V4 to work with
some other boards, like the ATI and some 34020 cards. 
  Joe Gradecki of PCVR has also done some texture mapping in rend. It isnt fast
but it works. He is working on some speedups. The code for Joe's version (V4
based) may be on sunee, but is definately on ftp.u.washington.edu in the
virtual-worlds/cheap-vr directory, along with several other versions of Rend
that have not made it to the public areas of Sunee. (EEdemo.zip - rend+BOB
language)

Jerry Isdale

(new account number! Now I dont care if this list does bounce back 20-30 bad
email addresses per send.)