Subject: rend386 info please...

From: [email-masked] (Marc "Sting" Lefebvre)
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 93 19:30:38 EST

Hello all,

	I have a few questions about rend386 (I have been saving them
till I had a few,  saves bandwidth).

	1) Does anyone have a listing of load errors and
their meanings?  I have gotten load errors of -2 and -4.  Not sure
of what I did wrong, I could not acertain what exactly was the problem.

	2) Is their a listing of cooresponding colors to numbers
chart?  I figured out that 0 is black,  etc...  but  I would like a
listing of all possibilities.

	3) How come in the *.wld files  the skycolor opcode
doesn't seem to work?  No matter what value I place in it I get a pale
blue sky.  Any fixes??

	4) Are there any limits to the size of an object?
Forexample I used the globe program with a radius of 900 and when I
tried to load it into rend386 I got a load error of some kind.  I
thought it may be too large for rend386 to handle.

	5) What are the MAX, MIN for the xyz in rend386.  ie.  How
large of a world can you design? 

	6) Has anyone once in rend386 used the load and save options?
I have tried and tried and they don't seem to do anything.  I have set
the environmental variable REND386 to my data directory containing ALL
of the plg, fig and wld files.  Nothing happens except when I load it
says, "Could not load file."  Any help here??

	Well that is all.  I hope someone is all knowing out there and
these are simple questions.  Thanks for all of your time!

--- 
  ___________________________________________________________________________
 /    **   ****	                                   |     World Cup 1994	     \
|    **   **  **   Marc A. Lefebvre	   	   |        --USA--           |
|   **   **    **   Computer Science Department    |"He shoots ... he scores!"|
|  **	**  *   **   University of Albany          |--------------------------|
| *******  ********                                | "Don't Drink and Derive" |
|		"I'd rather be Windsurfing!"       `--------------------------|
|  [email-masked]      [email-masked]     [email-masked]  |
 \___________________________________________________________________________/

---

From: Bernie Roehl <broehl>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 93 10:21:46 EST

> of what I did wrong, I could not acertain what exactly was the problem.

I've added textual error messages to the release we're working on now.

> listing of all possibilities.

If you display the color palette while in rend386, you can look at a color
and multiply its row by 16 and add its column (both origin zero).
 
> doesn't seem to work?

Because there's a bug.  Fixed in the next release.
 
> 	4) Are there any limits to the size of an object?

Yes, but it's very large.

> thought it may be too large for rend386 to handle.

More likely it had too many vertices or polygons to fit in the available
memory; remember that rend386 currently keeps all its data in conventional
memory (i.e. below 640k).
 
> large of a world can you design? 

We use 32 bit integers, but you should keep it less than the full range
because of roundoff and stuff.  Dave could probably tell you how many bits
we allow, but I seem to recall it's around 24 or so.