Subject: Anti-aliasing

From: "Myles Strous, Monash Gippsland x6536" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 1994 09:15:40 +1100

Greetings, all.

I suggested anti-asliasing as a topic for James's master's, and it occurred to 
me that it might be a good topic for this list.

Has anyone thought about adding anti-aliasing to Rend386 ?
I'm afraid I'm much more of a VR tourist than a programmer, and my programming 
experience is all Pascal-based, so I've never really looked at the code.
I assume Rend386 does at least some sort of edge calculation, whether it 
actually draws edges or uses an edge list for scan line stuff.

Now, didn't Michael Abrash's implementation of Wu's anti-aliasing technique, in 
Dr Dobb's Journal, produce some incredible number of anti-aliased lines per 
second ?
Now, I realise this was probably against a plain (black ?) background, which 
means you can work out an anti-aliasing palette ahead of time, and I realise 
that Rend386 already uses most of the palette for illumination shading, but 
what is the possibility of adding anti-aliasing to Rend386, at the edge
calculation stage maybe, using Wu's technique ?

Just a thought that some enthusiastic programmer with spare time :-D(ha,ha),
might like to consider.

			Regards, Myles. ([email-masked])
---
Raytracing fan. Virtual Reality tourist. Hobbyist programmer.