Subject: Re: Sound for rend386

From: "Mark T. Pflaging" <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Jun 93 19:17:07 EDT

Jason Barile writes, "...why on EARTH would the guy who added sound to 
Rend386 use a new format? ("similar to .WAV")  With as much conversionitis 
as is already hovering around Rend386, we don't need any new-fangled 
formats."

Well, "the guy" was just using a "raw" format, with no header information, 
just plain digitized data.  ".WAV" is just raw digitized data with some 
header information.  So the guy changed his program to interpret the header 
information, and now it reads ".WAV" files.  Happy?  The Guy is using the 
"Sound Blaster Freedom" libraries and that's why the raw file format was 
mentioned - that's the format that the SBF lib directly supports.  The Guy 
does not have enough initiative or creativity to invent his own data 
format.  8-)

If you have information on the format of, (or programming libraries to 
read), other formats such as MOD or VOC, or even a program to do the 
conversions please forward that information to The Guy (address given 
below).

I hope to be uploading the version of rend386 that has sound blaster 
support in about a week.  It will have source code except for the part of 
the code that uses two gloves, since that is being sold separately.  In 
fact The Guy wrote that part too.

		Yours Truly,
		The Guy

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------
 |      / |^\        /| |^^^\ |^\      Mark Pflaging, Vice President
 |    /   |___\    /  | |____ |___\    Senior Editor of Pix-Elation
 |  /     |\     /----|      ||        [email-masked]
 |/       |  \ /      | \___/ |
 The Virtual Reality Alliance of Students and Professionals___________