Subject: rend386 & Timing problem with toshiba glasses

From: [email-masked] (andrew longhorn )
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 92 15:34:40 EST

OK, I hung around and got the rend386 version 4 demo hoping it would fix the
problem. But NO! This is bugging me.

There are 2 points I want to make before continuing, Firstly, the flickering
of the LCDs is MUCH more noticeable running version 3 rend386 and the picture
on the left is steady and the picture on the right leaks through about 1 frame
a second.

Running version 4 makes the flickering almost un-noticable on both eyes (as
if the speed is up or something) but the left image is PERFECT
(no leak at all) and the right image is garbage (almost 100% leak through),
this makes the image flat (as the depth cue disappears).

Jim Brain made a comment about the the glasses being more sensitive to an
AC frequency shift? Would this account for the leaking? I think it might,
If so, how can I modify the standard sega circuit? Jim also mentioned that
the glasses may want more than 10 volts, though I think it's not as
contributory to the problem.

Martin, if you have any ideas about this please contribute. Is there a
minimum requirement for frequency or voltage or something?

Lastly, in rend386 version 3 , is it not a little silly that the mouse
cursor gets drawn with the left image but the selection co-ordinates are
calculated on the basis of the right image? I haven't investigated if this
is fixed in version 4 but I would think it should be (the image is too
confusing for me to bother with it)

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
(Jim, if you're wondering I haven't had the heart to bother my techo-friends
with this problem).

Andrew Longhorn.

---

From: Dave Stampe-Psy+Eng <dstamp@watserv1>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 92 07:34:02 -0400

Try reversing the connections to the glasses: maybe it's your hardware
that's bad.  If the software is at fault, you'd expect vertical bars
at top or bottom of leak-through.

- Dave Stampe