Subject: Rend386 runtime problem

From: [email-masked]
Date: 16 Jul 92 14:32

Hello,
I am also having troubles trying to get demo3 made.  I am using the
same make (version 3.6), the same Turbo C++ (3.00) and the same
Turbo Link (version 5.0).  But, I am not having any problems getting
everything to compile nor link.  I am recompiling all the files that
are provided (except the blit256 library).  The problem that I am seeing
is that I can't load in a figure file.  With the demo3 program supplied,
it works fine, but with the demo3 version that I made after I type in
the figure name and then a <cr>, it just returns -- no figure to be
seen!  Also, suspiciously the executable file sizes are different. 
The demo3.exe provided is 113412 bytes and mine is 112800.  Any idea
what is wrong?
Thanks, James

---

From: [email-masked] (Joseph D. Gradecki)
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 92 16:23:07 -0600

My demo3.exe after recompiling is 113016.   James, I have a question for you
are you using 'F' to load the figure file?  or 'L'?  Remember that L is 
for plg files and f for figure.  If you try to load a figure file with L,
you will not get it.  If you are using them correctly, try and load a plg
file with the 'L' command and let us know what happens.  Even though my
compile size is smaller than provided, it works correctly.  Let us (me) know.
j

joe

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 16 Jul 92 16:23

>My demo3.exe after recompiling is 113016.   James, I have a
          >question for you are you using 'F' to load the figure file?
          >or 'L'?  Remember that L is for plg files and f for figure.
          >If you try to load a figure file with L, you will not get
          >it.  If you are using them correctly, try and load a plg
          >file with the 'L' command and let us know what happens. 
          >Even though my compile size is smaller than provided, it
          >works correctly.  Let us (me) know.

          Ah, I am figuring out this mailing list!  Does anyone else
          get your mail bounced with an unknown user
          [email-masked]?

          In answer to Joe's question, it looks like I can load in plg
          files with the L command, but I can't load in fig files with
          the L command.  Any other suggestions?

          Thanks for the info so far, Joe.  Now I can at least get to
          work on the driver for the 3D Mouse since I have something
          on the screen that I can manipulate.  Still, it will be a
          lot funner with metalman or the hand.
          Cheers, James

---

From: Dave Stampe-Psy+Eng <dstamp@watserv1>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 92 20:13:26 -0400

Load in Fig files with the F command, and Plg files with the L command.
Yes, I get about 5 bounces for every message on the list myself (here we
go again...)

To all those with polys that appear and disappear: the problem is that your
4-sided polys are not coplanar!  If you can give me an example of a 
known coplanar or 3-sided poly that does this, I'll do something about it.
I just overhauled the 3DSUPP.C code to make it pick out a better set of
vertices for the normal calculation, but don't expect miracles.  It works
a bit better, though.

- Dave Stampe

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 92 09:38:19 MDT

>The demo3.exe provided is 113412 bytes and mine is 112800.  Any idea

My problem was that I did not recompile all of the files provided.  Seems
like mathinit and stereov as provided were compiled with a memory model
other than large.  Anyhow, in the makefile in devel3.zip, mathinit and
stereov are not included in the remake.  My recompiled demo3.exe is 112800
with Turbo C++ 3.0.  I'm not having any trouble with fig files.  Make sure
the fig file you want to load is in the same directory as demo3.exe, make
sure that the plg files that the fig file may need are in the directory,
and make sure to load the fig file using the "f" command not the "L". 
--
tkl
--
---------------------------------------------------
T. K. Larson, Idaho National Engineering Laboratory
P.O. Box 1625, M/S 2090
Idaho Falls, Idaho 83415-2090
Phone (208) 525-5334; Fax (208) 525-5996
INTERNET: [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------