Subject: books on blacksmithing and metalworking
Date: 15 May 1994 16:25:38 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking

Edge of the Anvil
Jack Andrews
SkipJack Press
Ocean City, MD
ISBN 1-87953-500-9

The Blacksmith's Cookbook
Francis Whitaker
Jim Fleming Publications
Vail, CO 81658
ISBN 0-939415-00-3

Also if you can find it
Practial Blacksmithing
M.T. Richardson

Originally published in four volumes but later combined into one.
I don't think its in print but you should be able to find it from 
Lindsay Publications, O.O. Box 12 Bradley IL 60915 815-468-3668
Centaur Forge Ltd P.O. Box 340 Burlington, Wis 53105 414-763-8350

R Collins
The Fleas of Hades Forge
[email-masked]

--
The Fleas of Hades Forge                 "You might very well think that,
R. Collins, prop.                         but I really couldn't comment."
[email-masked]                                                 F.U.

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: [email-masked] (Dale Gee)
Subject: books
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1993 17:02:44 GMT

I was cleaning out my desk last night and found this catalog for books.
It has books on just about every subject about metal working there is.

Norm Larson Books
5426 E. Hwy 246
Lompoc, CA 93436
800-743-4766 out side of the U.S. 805-735-2095

Hope this is of some help.

Dale

Village Blacksmith

From: [email-masked]
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Some Interesting Books
Date: 12 Jan 93 00:41:43 GMT

    Some books I haven't seen mentioned yet are the series written by
Guy Lautard: "The Machinist's Bedside Reader"  and "The Machinist's
Second Bedside Reader".  Lautard has also written a number of other
books target specifically towards the hobby machinest and to a lesser
extent towards gunsmiths.  He has even written a novel for machinists.
I bought "Tha Machinist's Bedside Reader" several years ago after
reading a raving review in "Rifle" magazine.  Recently I ordered the
sequel.

   In case you're interested the author sells these books directly
and his address is:
     Guy Lautard
     2570 Rosebery Avenue
     West Vacouver, B.C. Canada  V7V 2Z9
-------
MICHAEL F. GORDON
[email-masked]

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Some Interesting Books
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wednesday, 13 Jan 1993 10:42:29 EST

    I'm sorry for my cursory description of the books by Guy Lautard.
Rather than having me describe the books myself, let me just offer an
abridgement of the author's own description from a flyer which accompanied
the book.

  THE MACHINIST"S BEDSIDE READER
  Contains: Working drawings and detailed instructions for making 15
  useful and practical machinists tools and lathe accessories; dozens of
  hints, tips and tricks to help get things done faster, easier and
  better in your shop; a collection of 2 dozen machine shop anecdotes;
  2 highly readable machinists short stories.
  Projects include: a sharpening jig for drill from 1/8 to #60, a
  swiveling base for a 2" Wilton vise, a graduated handwheel for
  the lathe leadscrew.........and many more

  THE MACHINIST"S SECOND BEDSIDE READER
  Similar in format to the first book; projects include: a small
  pantograph engraving machine, a tool maker's block, poor mans's
  jig borer and a kerosene-burning blowtorch....... also a short
  story titled "The Bullseye Mixture" which details the method for
  barbon pack color casehardening.

  Other books and plans by Lautard (not complete list):
  "Hey Tim, I gotta tell ya....' a mini Bedside Reader"
  "A Brief treatise on Oiling Machine Tools"
   "3.75' Diameter Ungeared Rotary Table"
   "Universal Sleeve Clamp"

   Lautard's targeted readership seems to be the home machinst.  I'm
sure that much of what he has to say may be "old hat" to a skilled
machinist with many years experience.  I confess that I am a rank
amatuer in machine shop practice (my only professional experience was
as a part-time helper in a gunsmith shop where the machine I got to know
best was the polishing wheel). The flyer I quote from is available from
Lautard at the address I gave with my last posting.

Michael Gordon

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: [email-masked] (Charlie Stone 4915162)
Subject: Re: Some Interesting Books
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1993 01:51:03 GMT

I bought a copy of Guy's index to model engineer some years ago.  The
index is listed chronologically under a number of headings like DRILLS
or GRINDING etc.  You have to guess what heading the bit you are interested
in might be under and then search through the _fine_ print to maybe find it.
The book came to me with a very nice short note from the author though and
this index is definitely better than nothing.

A much better index to Model Engineer is available from:

G.V.Wilkinson,
129 Springside Rd,
Hillcrest 3610,
South Africa.

It used to cost Thirty pounds sterling.
.
 Charlie Stone
     C.Stone.
     Perth, Australia.