Subject: Re: VideConference

From: [email-masked] (Greg Cole)
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 1994 23:26:32 -0500

>Yep, I would like to have more info. Thanks.
>
>        Sergei

Sergei, Here it is . . . Let me know if any questions.  Greg

Subject: Call for Participation in GLH on 7/7th/ADD1-10
Status: OR

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 24, 1994

CONTACT:
TAKESHI UTSUMI
Chairman, GLOSAS/USA
718-939-0928

                            Call for Participation
                                      in
               "Global Lecture Hall" (GLH) (TM) Videoconference
                                      for
     "COMPARE AND EVALUATE AVAILABLE TECHNOLOGIES: LEARNING THROUGH USING"
                              at the occasion of
      The First International Conference on Distance Education in Russia
             "DISTANCE LEARNING AND NEW TECHNOLOGIES IN EDUCATION"
                 Convention Center, Russian Academy of Science
                                Moscow, Russia
                                July 5-8, 1994
                         <@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@>

Date:       Thursday, July 7, 1994
Time:       9:00 to 12:00 (Eastern Daylight Time/U.S.A.)
Range:      (a)   Via satellites:   North, Central and South America; Western,
                  Central and Eastern Europe; Scandinavia; Baltic; Ukraine,
                  Western Russia, Mediterranean, etc.  (Some depend on the
                  satellites we are now confirming.)
            (b)   Via Internet:     Around the world with Internet nodes.

PART I:     GREETINGS:
*     Dr. Takeshi Utsumi, President of Global University/USA
*     Mr. Alexander N. Tikhonov, President of The Association for
            International Education (from Moscow)
*     Dr. Frederico Mayor, Director General of UNESCO (Invited)
*     President Joseph E. Johnson, The University of Tennessee (Video)
*     Chancellor William T. Snyder, The University of Tennessee
*     Dr. Glen Hall, Dean of the College of Agriculture, The University of
            Tennessee (Video)
*     Professor David A. Johnson, Former President of Fulbright Association,
            The University of Tennessee
*     Dr. Michael G. Moore, Editor of The American Journal of Distance
            Education (from Moscow)
*     Dr. Peter T. Knight, Economic Development Institute, The World Bank

PART II:    DEMONSTRATIONS OF DESKTOP VIDEOCONFERENCINGS:
1.    "Friends and Partners" World Wide Web (WWW) Server:
      By Mr. Greg Cole, The University of Tennessee, -- mixed media (text,
graphics, image, audio, and video) information exchange via Internet, as
integrating information from Listservers, Gophers, WAIS databases, FTP
archives, etc. -- a forerunner of "Just-In-Time," individualized, asynchronous
education.
2.    CU-SeeMe via Internet:
      By Mr. Richard Cogger of Cornell University, Apple/Moscow and others, --
a black and white video (10 to 15 frame per second [fps]) with Macintosh and
IBM compatible machines -- may also include audio conferencing via Internet.

                                     - 2 -

3.    MBONE via Internet:
      By Messrs Mike McCann and Donald Paul Brutzman of the U.S. Naval
Postgraduate School and others, -- text, graphics, image, whiteboard, audio,
and video (5 to 10 fps) via 50 Kbps bandwidth -- with scientific visualiza-
tions of a global circulation model for ocean currents.
4.    ShowMe via Internet:
      By Messrs Ren Moore and Rob Hall of Sun Microsystems, Inc. in California
and Moscow (and possible participation from Sidney, Australia, too) -- text,
graphics, image, white board, audio, and video (10 to 15 fps).
5.    ShareView via ordinary telephone and INMARSAT satellite:
      By Mr. Jim Miller of SYNECTICS -- text, graphics, image, whiteboard,
audio, and video (10 to 15 fps).  ShareView with a Magnavox portable dish
antenna at Moscow conference site will be connected with a ShareView at the U.
of TN (or Governors State University and/or Nebraska Educational TV which will
be relayed to the U. of TN via satellite), and next with the World Bank which
will be relayed to the U. of TN via PictureTel.
6.    "Multimedia of America (MMOA)" (TM) (tentative):
      ShareView at Moscow conference site will be directly connected with a
ShareView at the U. of TN with the use of a portable dish antenna of Mobile
Telesystems Inc. (MTI) -- via two hops of INMARSAT satellite audio channel.
      Interconnection of two ShareView units via audio subchannels of a
satellite will also be demonstrated by Dr. Mel Muchnik of Governors State
University and Mr. Timothy Cook of Nebraska Educational TV.  Each of them will
uplink analog signals which will be downlinked at the U. of TN to produce two
split screens side-by-side, so that how to teach Japanese Kanji brush stroke
sequences to students at GSU can be shown on whiteboard of ShareView unit.
      These demonstrations are toward a one-to-many receive-only ShareView
system via inexpensive narrow-band channel of satellite (i.e., our MMOA
project), for those students in rural and remote areas where there is no
Internet node.  Video of instructor, handwriting in color on an electronic
white board, image/graphic with annotation, dynamic graphic presentation by
real-time execution of an application program/simulation model, etc., can be
seen in windows on computer screen at students' sites.  Yet these experiences
can include high levels of interaction and feedback (via email, fax, etc.)
amongst students and instructors.

PARTICIPATION:
      The computer screen will be uplinked for worldwide broadcast.  If you
have a satellite downlink facility and our satellite foot-prints cover your
area, you can receive our satellite signal.  You can also participate with
your personal computer and/or workstation which are directly connected to
TCP/IP oriented Internet without use of satellite nor dish antenna.
      Other than participation fee, all participants have to be responsible
for the costs of (1) down/uplinking from/to satellites; (2) telephone call to
a videoconference center at the U. of TN for Q&A; and (3) sending fax to the
center for backstage coordination.

DELIVERY:
1.    INTELSAT, INMARSAT, several U.S. domestic satellites, digital video
      equipment, etc.
2.    Internet for CU-SeeMe (first priority to overseas users, total 25), and
      MBONE users around the world.  (CU-SeeMe participants need to access its
      specified reflector, and call into an audio bridge at our videoconfer-
      ence center at the University of Tennessee.)

                                     - 3 -

 ************************************************************************
 * Takeshi Utsumi, Ph.D.                                                *
 * President, Global University in the U.S.A. (GU/USA)                  *
 * A Divisional Activity of GLOSAS/USA                                  *
 * (GLObal Systems Analysis and Simulation Association in the U.S.A.)   *
 * 43-23 Colden Street, Flushing, NY 11355-3998, U.S.A.                 *
 * Tel: 718-939-0928; Fax: 718-939-0656 (day time only--prefer email)   *
 * INTERNET: [email-masked];  Tax Exempt ID: 11-2999676            *
 ************************************************************************

Greg Cole
Research Services
The University of Tennessee                  Phone: (615) 974-2908
211 Hoskins Library                            FAX: (615) 974-6508
Knoxville, TN  37996                         Email: [email-masked]