Subject: Re: Help on Mac Chinese System

From: [email-masked] (Tie Zeng)
Date: Sun, 2 May 1993 06:25:24 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Jie Ge) wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> Can anyone give me some information on how to get the chinese macintosh system, i.e., where to buy it and what the price is?
> 

Ok. I will answer a more time  this kind of questions.
I will try to write an article about this kind information later
when I can find the time.

While there have been many releases of Mac Chinese system from Apple,
Apple have never sold it up to this point.

The Mac Chinese OS v6.0.7 ( I assume you ask about Simplified 
Chinese system here. The traditional system's situation is a little bit
different) was available in the CD for Develop magazine from Apple
in about the beginning of 1990's issues. This magazine is only
$10 for retail, $27 for a year's subscription. So it is almost free.
But the software was pulled out of CD after system 7 was released
( maybe earlier). So if  your Mac can run system 6.0.7 and
you can find that CD, you have it.

The lastest issue (March or April) of the same CD has the developer seeding
release of Chinese Mac OS v7.1 lest many fonts that are included in the
real release.

These releases are mainly for developers to test their software, I believe.
So there is no any support for these softwares. And I am not sure
if you can use the OS v7.1 leagally for things other than testing
softwares. You should read the legal stuff with the CD first before you use
the CD.

Where do Mac Chinese OS software go? They are bundled with Macs selling
in China now.

Some people may ask if Apple will come out with a similar language pack
for Chinese like the Japanese language pack, I don't know. Apple will
anounce it if there is one and when it is available I guess. 

Don't send E-Mail to  me about this kind of information. I would not have
time for this kind of thing for a couple of weeks. When I have the time, I
will try to write an posting kind of like FAQ so that nobody need to ask.

----Tie Zeng ( what I said have nothing to do with Apple)
----Apple Computer ( where I work for a living )