Subject: PC cookbook for alt.chinese.text

From: [email-masked] (S. Cheng)
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1993 13:14:26 GMT

There are several ways to read alt.chinese.text on different
systems.Most patrons do not have enough resources on their Unix
account to read alt.chinese.text online  with cxterm/hztty.      
Some lucky sites have cxterm/hztty installed as a service by
their system managers.

All is not lost if you have a PC connection to Unix. 
Just install ZWDOS and then via the network or terminal       
connection eg Rainbow,(public domain from University of Edinburgh)
or NCSA telnet; connect to your Unix workstation, start rn etc
and then browse online.  
If you still can't read online but is not bothered about the 
inconvenience, on rn,do this: save the file and mail to your
PC if you have a connected PC mailer (DOS only).

eg     s | mail to:[email-masked]   

*This may not work on some sites because the tilde mark ~
gets corrupted by the mail hub usually to a caret ^.*

On the PC, activate ZWDOS and then start up your DOS mailer
eg. Pegasus emailer. ZWDOS doesn't support the Windows
graphical environment. You may now read your mail in Chinese.

Failing this, the file may still be saved on rn with "s filename"
and then downloaded to be read with NJstar or other                
Chinese word processors that can read GB files. NJstar 
has convenient HZ encoders and decoders to give you the
necessary GB files.Convert from Hz to GB first for other
Chinese word processors. There are Unix and PC based Hz2GB
and GB2Hz converters.

You may of course compose a GB file on NJstar and then
encode it to Hz before posting to alt.chinese.text etc.

The same principles hold for those who wish to communicate
in Chinese via email.                              

There are other ways of doing the same thing on the PC ie. reading
alt.chinese.text eg using NCTUTEL.EXE. Eten support will allow
you to browse Big5 formatted files.

                                                                             
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% 
                                                 
*****************************************************************************   

Individual email queries will not be answered. Please direct
all queries to alt.chinese.text.