Subject: For BIG5 users in Taiwan

From: [email-masked] (Shih-Kun Huang)
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1993 04:55:34 GMT

Most of the Chinese environements in Taiwan  are using Big5 code and
articles in this group are in HZ. If users in Taiwan intend to 
read TW Big5 news and at the same time read HZ code, they cannot
conveniently switch between environments. Using pipe through
different conversion tools is not very convenient.  We provide
an "extra" service in our "gopher" server to let Twiwan users
view HZ articles directly. We convert HZ articles in alt.chinese.text
into BIG5 and repost them in our local groups. If you are using
BIG5 environment, you can try to read alt.chinese.text in BIG5 by
"gopher gopher.csie.nctu.edu.tw 70"
 or
"telnet gopher.csie.nctu.edu.tw 4270" 

And select "Documents, FAQ, RFC,..." topic. 
You must note your gopher or telnet client is 8-bits clean.
(gopher must be compiled by SYSV curses if you are using BSD systems)

Bugs: we cannot preserve author information as in the original form.
      and you can't followup or post. 
This service seems to be extraeous in some aspects. But if people don't
think so, we can allocate another service to let user post articles
in another group (in Taiwan local group) and this article will be
sent to a filter. It  will convert BIG5 article into HZ automaticllay.      
And repost into alt.chinese.text. 
Viewing news articles through gopher won't be slow if you are in Taiwan.
Our gopher server takes advantage of "tin index" and it is just a
little slower than "tin" reader.

Any comments and suggestions please sent to "[email-masked]"
--
Shih-Kun Huang			|  Huang2 Shih4-Kun1
[email-masked]	|