

Article 11041 of soc.culture.china:
Path: bsu-cs!iuvax!mailrus!csd4.milw.wisc.edu!bionet!agate!ucbvax!HAMLET.BITNET!zp
>From: [email-masked] (Zheng Wei Peng)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Subject: human right document.
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Jan 89 00:12:41 GMT
Sender: [email-masked]
Lines: 370

Hi, SCC editer:

               It might be interesting to have the universal declaration

               of the human rights posted in the SCC after its 40th birthday.

               Anyway, it might be a collector's item!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
              UNIVERSAL DECLARATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS

                            Preamble
                            --------

     WHEREAS recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal
and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is  the
foundation of freedom, justice and peace in the world,

     WHEREAS  disregard  and  contempt  for  human  rights   have
resulted in barbarous acts which have outraged the conscience  of
mankind,  and the advent of a world in which human  beings  shall
enjoy freedom of speech and belief and freedom from fear and want
has  been  proclaimed  as the highest aspiration  of  the  common
people,

     WHEREAS  it is essential, if man is not to be  compelled  to
have recourse, as a last resort, to rebellion against tyranny and
opression,  that human rights should be protected by the rule  of
law,

     WHEREAS  it  is  essential to  promote  the  development  of
friendly relations between nations,

     WHEREAS  the  peoples  of the United  Nations  have  in  the
Charter  reaffirmed their faith in fundamental human  rights,  in
the dignity and worth of the human person and in the equal rights
of  men and women and have determined to promote social  progress
and better standards of life in larger freedom,

     WHEREAS Member States have pledged themselves to achieve, in
co-operation with the United Nations, the promotion of  universal
respect  for  and  observance of  human  rights  and  fundamental
freedoms,

     WHEREAS a common understanding of these rights and  freedoms
is  of the greatest importance for the full realization  of  this
pledge,

     NOW, THEREFORE, The General Assembly proclaims

           THIS UNIVERSAL DECLARATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS

as  a  common  standard of achievement for all  peoples  and  all
nations,  to  the end that every individual and  every  organ  of
society,  keeping  this  Declaration constantly  in  mind,  shall
strive  by  teaching and education to promote respect  for  these
rights  and  freedoms and by progressive measures,  national  and
international,   to   secure  their   universal   and   effective
recognition  and  observance, both among the  peoples  of  Member
States  themselves  and among the peoples  of  territories  under
their juristiction.

                            Article 1
                            ------- -

     All  human  beings are born free and equal  in  dignity  and
rights.   They are endowed with reason and conscience and  should
act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

                            Article 2
                            ------- -

     Everyone  is  entitled to all the rights  and  freedoms  set
forth  in this Declaration, without distiction of any kind,  such
as  race,  colour, sex, language, religion,  political  or  other
opinion,  national  or social origin, property,  birth  or  other
status.

     Furthermore, no distiction shall be made on the basis of the
political, juristictional or international status of the  country
or   territory  to  which  a  person  belongs,  whether   it   be
independent,   trust,  non-selfgoverning  or  under   any   other
limitation of sovereignty.

                            Article 3
                            ------- -

     Everyone  has  the right to life, liberty, and  security  of
person.

                            Article 4
                            ------- -

     No  one shall be held in slavery or servitude;  slavery  and
the slave trade shall be prohibited in all their forms.

                            Article 5
                            ------- -

     No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or
degrading treatment or punishment.

                            Article 6
                            ------- -

     Everyone has the right to recognition everywhere as a person
before the law.

                            Article 7
                            ------- -

     All  are equal before the law and are entitled  without  any
discrimination to equal protection of the law.  All are  entitled
to  equal protection against any discrimination in  violation  of
this   Declaration   and   against   any   incitement   to   such
discrimination.

                            Article 8
                            ------- -

     Everyone  has  the  right  to an  effective  remedy  by  the
competent  national tribunals for acts violating the  fundamental
rights granted him by the constitution or by law.

                            Article 9
                            ------- -

     No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention  or
exile.

                           Article 10
                           ------- --

     Everyone  is entitled in full equality to a fair and  public
hearing  by  an  independent  and  impartial  tribunal,  in   the
determination  of his rights and obligations and of any  criminal
charge against him.

                           Article 11
                           ------- --

     (1)  Everyone charged with a penal offence has the right  to
be  presumed innocent until proved guilty according to law  in  a
public trial at which he has had all the guarantees necessary for
his defence.

     (2)   No  one shall be held guilty of any penal  offence  on
account  of any act or omission which did not constitute a  penal
offence, under national or international law, at the time when it
was  committed.  Nor shall a heavier penalty be imposed than  the
one  that  was  applicable  at the time  the  penal  offence  was
committed.

                           Article 12
                           ------- --

     No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his
privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon  his
homour and reputation.  Everyone has the right to the  protection
of the law against such interference or attacks.

                           Article 13
                           ------- --

     (1)   Everyone  has  the right to freedom  of  movement  and
residence within the borders of each State.

     (2)  Everyone has the right to leave any country,  including
his own, and to return to his country.

                           Article 14
                           ------- --

     (1)   Everyone has the right to seek and to enjoy  in  other
countries asylum from persecution.

     (2)   This  right  may  not  be  invoked  in  the  case   of
prosecutions genuinely arising from non-political crimes or  from
acts  contrary  to  the purposes and  principles  of  the  United
Nations.

                           Article 15
                           ------- --

     (1)  Everyone has the right to a nationality.

     (2)  No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his nationality
nor denied the right to change his nationality.

                           Article 16
                           ------- --

     (1)   Men and women of full age, without any limitation  due
to race, nationality or religion, have the right to marry and  to
found  a  family.   They  are entitled  to  equal  rights  as  to
marriage, during marriage and at its dissolution.

     (2)   Marriage shall be entered into only with the free  and
full consent of the intending spouses.

     (3)  The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of
society and is entitled to protection by society and the State.

                           Article 17
                           ------- --

     (1)  Everyone has the right to own property alone as well as
in association with others.

     (2)  No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his property.

                           Article 18
                           ------- --

     Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and
religion;  this right includes freedom to change his religion  or
belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and
in  public  or  private, to manifest his religion  or  belief  in
teaching, practice, worship and observance.

                           Article 19
                           ------- --

     Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression;
this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference
and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any
media and regardless of frontiers.

                           Article 20
                           ------- --

     (1)  Everyone has the right to freedom of peaceful  assembly
and association.

     (2)  No one may be compelled to belong to an association.

                           Article 21
                           ------- --

     (1)   Everyone has the right to take part in the  government
of    his   country,   directly   or   through   freely    chosen
representatives.

     (2)   Everyone  has  the right of  equal  access  to  public
service in his country.

     (3)   The  will  of the people shall be  the  basis  of  the
authority of government; this will shall be expressed in periodic
and  genuine  elections  which shall be by  universal  and  equal
suffrage  and shall be held by secret vote or by equivalent  free
voting procedures.

                           Article 22
                           ------- --

     Everyone,  as a member of society, has the right  to  social
security and is entitled to realization, through national  effort
and  international  co-operation  and  in  accordance  with   the
organization and resources of each State, of the economic, social
and  cultural rights indispensable for his dignity and  the  free
development of his personality.

                           Article 23
                           ------- --

     (1)   Everyone  has  the right to work, to  free  choice  of
employment,  to  just and favourable conditions of  work  and  to
protection against unemployment.

     (2)  Everyone, without any discrimination, has the right  to
equal pay for equal work.

     (3)  Everyone who works has the right to just and favourable
remuneration  ensuring  for himself and his family  an  existence
worthy of human dignity, and supplemented, if necessary, by other
means of social protection.

     (4)  Everyone has the right to form and to join trade unions
for the protection of his interests.

                           Article 24
                           ------- --

     Everyone  has  the  right to  rest  and  leisure,  including
reasonable limitation of working hours and periodic holidays with
pay.

                           Article 25
                           ------- --

     (1)  Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate
for  the  health  and well-being of himself and  of  his  family,
including food, clothing, housing and medical care and  necessary
social  services,  and  the right to security  in  the  event  of
unemployment,  sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or  other
lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control.

     (2)   Motherhood and childhood are entitled to special  care
and assistance.  All children, whether born in or out of wedlock,
shall enjoy the same social protection.

                           Article 26
                           ------- --

     (1)   Everyone has the right to education.  Education  shall
be  free,  at  least in the elementary  and  fundamental  stages.
Elementary   education  shall  be  compulsory.    Technical   and
professional  education  shall be made  generally  available  and
higher education shall be equally accessible to all on the  basis
of merit.

     (2)  Education shall be directed to the full development  of
the  human  personality and to the strengthening of  respect  for
human   rights  and  fundamental  freedoms.   It  shall   promote
understanding, tolerance and friendship among all nations, racial
or  religious  groups, and shall further the  activities  of  the
United Nations for the maintenance od peace.

     (3)   Parents  have  a prior right to  choose  the  kind  of
education that shall be given to their children.

                           Article 27
                           ------- --

     (1)   Everyone  has the right freely to participate  in  the
cultural life of the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in
scientific advancement and its benefits.

     (2)   Everyone has the right to the protection of the  moral
and material interests resulting from any scientific, literary or
artistic production of which he is the author.

                           Article 28
                           ------- --

     Everyone is entitled to a social and international order  in
which  the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration  can
be fully realized.

                           Article 29
                           ------- --

     (1)  Everyone has duties to the community in which alone the
free and full development of his personality is possible.

     (2)   In the exercise of his rights and  freedoms,  everyone
shall  be subject only to such limitations as are  determined  by
law  solely  for  the purpose of  securing  due  recognition  and
respect for the rights and freedoms of others and of meeting  the
just  requirements  of  morality, public order  and  the  general
welfare in a democratic socirty.

     (3)   These  rights and freedoms may in  no  case  exercised
contrary to the purposes and principles of the United Nations.

                           Article 30
                           ------- --

     Nothing  in this Declaration may be interpreted as  implying
for  any  State,  group  or person any right  to  engage  in  any
activity or to perform any act aimed at the destruction of any of
the rights and freedoms set forth herein.............