Subject: CBS Incident Committee has been established

From: [email-masked] (Mi Mi)
Date: Sun, 29 May 1994 05:51:46 GMT

Welcome to the fcbs-l. This listserv is dedicated to serve the general 
CSS community who are angered by biased CBS evening news, "Eye on 
America", aired on May 19 1994. As a more or less silent minority in 
this land, we Chinese have long been the best target of injustice, 
wrongfully stereotype and racial discrimination. Last year, when Golden 
Venture went aground, the exposure was pushed to its maximum. No one 
asked how many Chinese actually had illegally entered U.S.A. compared to 
the other nationalities. The fact is, although New York City has the 
highest concentration of illegal Chinese population in the country, 
however, its illegal Chinese population ranks barely tenth in the City. 
The leading illegal immigrant group, however, is from a European 
country, and no body wants to mention it at all. Further more, the 
media, intended or not, has portrayed Chinese communities as filled with 
gangs, kidnappings, people smuggling and slave labors. While we admit 
there are crimes in our community just as in any other communities, 
however, most Chinese are law abiding people and more often than not are 
victims of various criminal groups. 

Now came the CBS report. While the previous hot topic was focused on 
illegal Chinese, it seemed that we legal Chinese were exempted from the 
biased attack. No way! Legally entered? You are potential spies for the 
Chinese government! Are these claims made by Connie Chung the truth? Not 
likely. 

Now, the CBS made a blatant allegation that any ordinary Chinese could 
be a potential spy. It is said that Beijing is the starting point. When 
"A Chinese student or scientist or businessperson applies for a visa to 
go to the US. Then the Ministry of State Security starts asking 
questions: What can you learn in the States? Will you be working with 
computers? Will you be loyal to China? And most importantly, can you be 
patient?" What is the fact? Such a spy was caught when stealing American 
secrets for China. He was portrayed as "Chen di yu", or, "sleeper 
agents". His name is Kao Yen Men, who came to the US "twenty-three years 
ago". Twenty-three years ago? It was then 1971, when there was no 
diplomatic relation between China and US. Chinese students, scientists 
and businessmen began arriving in US in 1978, more than seven years 
later than Mr. Kao Yen Men ever did. This Mr Kao, even might not be a 
Chinese national. Even so, most of the Chinese students and scientists 
were J-1 visa holders, or exchange visitors, who were subject to the 
vigorously imposed "two-year-home-residency" requirement by US 
Intelligence Agency and Immigration And Naturalization Service. There 
was no way for these potential "fish" even to think of the "bottom". By 
deliberately putting Mr. Kao's isolated case together with ordinary Chinese 
people, CBS was implying that the later could be all potential spies. 
How to control this army of spies? "Ministry of State Security  will be 
watching their family members in China". So, no one can refuse to work 
as a spy. They wait to be contacted even it is against their wills. So, 
CBS is inspiring a wild imagination. Any Chinese, no matter how innocent 
he/she looks or is, could be a potential spy. How come? they have family 
members in China, and patient to wait. They have to.

Can we tolerate this kind of allegation? Can you? Please join our fcbs-l 
network. Please join our CBS Incident Committee, and fight any 
discrimination against we Chinese people. Justice must be served and our 
names must be cleared. We will resort to any actions appropriate to the 
last ditch. Legal actions, protestings, demonstrations! 

United, we stand. 
United, we can fight discrimination. 
United, we must make a difference!

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%   
% Mr. Mi Mi, Sr., Coordinator of CBS Incident Committee %
% Sign on/off at [email-masked], with mailbody as:  %
%    sub fcbs-l Firstname Lastname, or signoff fcbs-l   %
% Post at [email-masked]                              %
% Anonymous ftp: to be arranged at ifcss.org            % 
% United, We can fight discrimination!                  % 
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%