Subject: IFCSS HQ BW-4002, Biweekly Report August 15-31, 1992

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 92 16:56:44 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters Biweekly Report No. 4002 August 15-31, 1992
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

     IFCSS HQ Bi-weekly Report 4002, August 15-31, 1992
     ==================================================

     The following lists the major activities of IFCSS in
the past two weeks.

     1. IFCSS BUSINESS WORKSHOP: The first IFCSS Business
Workshop in Taiwan has successfully ended. The twelve 
participants have all returned from Taiwan. The IFCSS
Committee on China's Economic Development will disclose
plans for the second workshop later on.

     2. FUND-RAISING IN TAIWAN: Geng Xiao, President of 
IFCSS, is visiting Taiwan since August 17. His major goal
is to raise funds for IFCSS operations and projects. He 
is expected to return on September 7. 

     3. FAMILY REUNION PROGRAM: IFCSS HQ has decided to
continue the family union program. Because the members
of the Government Affairs Committee have all moved to
other states, the HQ now is taking care of the program.

     4. VISAS FOR PARENT VISITS: Many people have complained
that they had difficulties in getting their parents to visit
them in the United States. The HQ has noticed that there are
some inconsistencies in the policies of U.S. consulates
in this area. The HQ has contacted IFCSS Attorneys and
is considering measures to make it easier for parents
to visit Chinese students and scholars.

     5. HEALTH INSURANCE: The promotion of IFCSS insurance
had a good start. Statistics provided by the Insurance
company showed that progress has exeeded the expectations.
Purdue University is number one in student enrollment, 
followed by Florida State and University of Florida. 

     6. In response to the new government policies on the
return of oveaseas students and scholars, the HQ released
a statement on August 22. The HQ advised IFCSS members
to take caution when they consider returning to China. The
statement was released to American news media on August 27.

     7. The HQ also released a statement on Wang Juntao's
hunger strike. The statement call on the Chinese government
to release all political prisoners and respect the human
rights in China.

     8. After the arrest of Shen Tong, the HQ and CCSA
immediately took actions to help Shen Tong regain his
freedom. 

     9. The HQ has also established a local coordinator
system for the protection campaign. When urgent actions
are needed, you will see announcement from either the HQ
or the CCSA. Please be patient.

     Thanks for the help and support we have received in
the past two weeks.

***************************************************************
         IFCSS Headquarters Office    Signature
***************************************************************