Subject: IFCSS HQ BW-4003: Biweekly Report, September 1-15, 1992

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1992 02:05:14 -0400

****************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters Biweekly Report No.4003, September 1-15, 1992
****************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

         IFCSS HQ Biweekly Report, September 1-15, 1992
         ==============================================

Dear IFCSS Members:

    The following report summarizes the major activities in the
first two weeks of September 1992:

    1. SHEN TONG RESCUE: Since September 1, the HQ has made
continuous efforts to rescue Shen Tong and his two associates.
We have taken the following actions: 
    A. released a statement immediately after we learned 
Shen Tong's arrest. The statement demanded release of Shen
Tong and his associates.
    B. maintained regular contact with Shen Tong's mother.
Over the phone, we expressed our concern and our support.
    C. decided to take further actions one week after Shen
Tong's arrest. A nation-wide open letter campaign is under
way. So far, the open letter has near 30 CSS organizations
on its sponsor list.

   2. INS ASYLUM DENIAL CASE: In early September, the HQ
received a report that a Chinese student had been denied
political asylum in Texas. The HQ carefully examined the
case and concluded that INS does not have a sound ground
to reject the case. The HQ took several steps (contacting
human rights lawyer groups, collecting comments and
evidences in the net, communicating with the lawyers
of the applicant, etc.) to protect the student and also
to prevent the administration from reversing its protection
policy.

   3. RETURN OF GENG XIAO AND HE BAOPING: IFCSS President
Geng Xiao and Vice President He Baoping returned to the
U.S. after their visits to Taiwan. Their trips to Taiwan
were successful and the fund-raising efforts were productive.

   4. LIU QING'S VISIT: Liu Qing, one of the leaders of
the 1979 Democratic Wall movement in Beijing who spent
10 years in China's prison for his political activities,
visited the HQ. He visited the HQ office, conversed with
HQ people, met with leaders of pro-democracy organizations
in the greater Washington area, and had a talk with the
students in the University of Maryland, College Park.

   5. NOMINATION: Mr. Shi Heping, a veteran IFCSS activist,
has been nominated by Geng Xiao as the assistant to the 
President and chairman of the committee on public relations
and government affairs. 

   6. IFCSS Treasurer Ms. Jiang Zuihong has accepted the
nomination. She will use computer to manage IFCSS financial
transactions. With her help, we can expect a more efficient
and professionalized financial management for our
organization.

   7. PROTECTION BILL: The HQ was contacted by Senator
Gorton's office to provide evidences of disadvantages
encountered by IFCSS members without the bill. The HQ
called for help and collected many cases. All the 
documents were sent to the Senator's office. We'd like
to take this opportunity to thank those who have helped.

   8. The HQ has noticed the debates on the networks about
the management of China-net. The HQ has a concrete plan
to fundamentally change the structures of IFCSS computer
communication. A few technical problems need to be solved
before this plan is put into practice.

   9. This year's insurance service has been doing exceedingly
well. The champion is CSSU at Purdue University. The student
service committee is compiling the statistics and a report
on the distribution of the commissions to local CSS will
be released soon.

   Thank you for your attention.
    
***************************************************************
         IFCSS Headquarters Office    Signature
***************************************************************