Subject: HQ BW-4004: Biweekly Report, Sept. 15-30, 1992

From: IFCSS HQ <ifcss>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1992 17:03:50 -0400

*****************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters Biweekly Report No. 4004 September 15-30, 1992
*****************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

            HQ Biweekly Report, September 15-30
            ===================================

     Because of the intensive lobbying and coordination in the past
two weeks, we were not able to post our regular Biweekly Report for
September 15-30 until now. The following is a brief review of the
major events in the last two weeks in September as reflected in our
News Releases.

     September 16:  The HQ sent a memo to several members of
Congress supporting the proposal for Radio Free Asia.

     September 16:  The HQ started to post the list of
organizations which had signed the open letter demanding the
release of Shen Tong and his friends. Eleven CSS organizations
signed the letter by that date.

     September 17-18:  The CSS in Australia sent a urgent appeal to
the HQ asking for help in their struggle for continued protection
in Australia. The HQ drafted a letter to Australian Prime Minister.
Geng Xiao, as IFCSS President and the General Coordinator of the
Global Federation of Chinese Students, also urged members of GFCS
to take similar actions to give a moral support to our fellow
students in Australia.

     September 18: The HQ obtained a updated list of Senate
Directory, a useful tool for the protection campaign.

     September 19-20: Upon learning that the protection bill was
stuck in the Senate, the HQ mobilized the lobby groups across the
nation and coordinated an effective campaign. Under the pressure,
Senator Simpson withdrew his amendment and the bill was passed by
the Senate on September 23.

     September 23:  At 7:20 p.m., United States Senate passed S1216
the Chinese Student Protection bill as amended by the House. At
7:45 p.m., the HQ reported the good news.

     September 23:  Senator Kennedy and Senator Wallop drafted a
letter to Li Peng urging the Chinese Government to release Shen
Tong and his friends. The HQ posted  the letter to the net and
urged CSS to promote the letter to other Senators.

     September 24:  The HQ called for donations to overcome the
deficit left from 3rd term.

     September 24:  The HQ pointed out that we should send "thank
you" letters to members of Congress. The HQ also urged the students
to focus on the signature of the President.

     September 24:  The HQ released a statement on Japanese
Emperor's visit to China. The statement pointed out that the
Chinese government should pressure the Japanese Emperor for a
public apology, return of occupied territories and war
compensation. The statement also protested the arrest of Bao Ge.

     September 24-30: After the passage of the Protection Act,
signatures on the Shen Tong Open Letter dramatically increased.
Signatures from individuals came in hundreds every day. To the end
of September a total of 71 CSS organizations have signed the open
letter.

     September 27-30: The HQ worked closely with IFCSS legal
advisers to design the strategies on president's signature. The
core of that strategy is to work on the Republican senators and
Congressmen and to contact the news media. Reports and editorials
began to emerge in some newspapers.

***************************************************************
         IFCSS Headquarters Office    Signature
***************************************************************