Subject: HQ BW-4005: Biweekly Report , October 1-15, 1992

From: IFCSS HQ <ifcss>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1992 15:44:19 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters Biweekly Report 4005     October 1-15, 1992
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

             IFCSS HQ Biweekly Report 4005
                 (October 1-15, 1992)

Dear IFCSS Members:

     The following are the major events in the first two weeks of
October:

     1. PRESSURE ON THE WHITE HOUSE:  The HQ worked closely with
IFCSS legal advisers in Arent & Fox in the effort to put pressure
on the White House. Reports and editorials began to emerge in
national and local newspapers.

     2. MEETING WITH WHITE HOUSE OFFICIALS:  IFCSS President Geng
Xiao, Vice-president He Baoping, Public Relations and Government
Affairs Chairman Shi Heping, Student Affairs Committee Chairman
Zhao Haiqing, vice-chairman Jinquan met with White House officials
on Oct. 5. They urged President Bush to sign the bill.

     3. Oct. 3-5, HQ officers met with Mr. Wang Ruowang.

     4. Oct. 3, HQ officers and five committee  chairpersons
participated in the 2nd Council teleconference. They all submitted
work report. Mr. Shi Heping's nomination was approved.

     5. October 8, HQ officers contacted three influential Chinese
American organizations and received positive responses. The
Republican National Committee's Director of Asian Affairs, Mr.
Chen, agreed to call the White House urging President Bush to sign
the bill; The Organization of Chinese Americans also called the
White House. The Greater Washington Network for Democracy in China
also took actions to help the students.

     6. Oct. 9, President Bush signed the 1992 Chinese Student
Protection Act. 11:07 a.m. the HQ reported this news.

     7. Oct. 9, HQ officers Zhang Qingsong and Shi Heping invited
IFCSS legal advisers to lunch to thank them for their help in the
past. Also at the lunch were IFCSS Council Chairman Li Jinghong and
Student Affairs Committee Chairman Zhao Haiqing. Issues on
President certification and the implementation of the act were
discussed during the meeting.

     8.  The HQ began to collect questions to be brought to INS
meetings regarding the implementation of the protection act.

     9.  By October 15, a total of 76 organizations had signed the
open letter on Shen Tong, among which were 71 CSS organizations.
The list was released to news media. 

     Thanks for your attention.

*********************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                         *
*                 =========================                         *
*                                                                   *
* President:      Geng Xiao  Assistant to the President: Shi Heping * 
* Vice-President: He Baoping     Executive Director: Zhang Qingsong *
*                                                                   *
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
*IFCSS Stands for advancement of human rights and democracy in China*
*IFCSS protects the rights and interests of CSS in U.S. Your support*
*is vital to IFCSS's success. To donate: Please make checks payable *
*to "IFCSS" and send to:                                            *
*                                                                   *
*   "IFCSS, 733 15th St. N.W., Suite 440, Washington D.C., 20005"   *
*                                                                   *
*********************************************************************