Subject: IFCSS HQ BW-4006: Biweekly Report, Oct. 15-31, 1992

From: IFCSS HQ <ifcss>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1992 16:36:39 -0500

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters Biweekly Report 4006       Oct. 15-31, 1992
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

                IFCSS HQ Biweekly Report BW-4006
                     (October 15-31, 1992)

Oct. 15:  IFCSS Executive Director Zhang Qingsong and Assistant to
          the President Shi Heping visited the office of Mr. Tony
          Chen, director of Asian Affairs of the Republican
          National Committee. They thanked Mr. Chen for his help in
          promoting President Bush's signature on S1216. Mr. Chen
          praised the success of IFCSS.

Oct. 16:  The HQ revealed part of its plan to upgrade its email
          communication systems. In its news release, the HQ
          announced that it will set up a Group Distribution List
          (GDL) to send IFCSS official announcements to local CSS
          networks. Responses are very positive. So far, more than
          23 schools have joined the GDL system, covering more than
          8,000 CSS.

Oct. 17:  The HQ had put together a brochure on IFCSS. An order of
          20,000 copies was placed. 

Oct. 23:  Mr. Shen Tong regained his freedom and returned to the
          United States. IFCSS HQ issued a statement thanking the
          72 CSS organizations which had signed the open letter
          demanding the release of Shen Tong.

Oct. 23:  IFCSS President Geng Xiao, his assistant She Heping and
          Executive Director Zhang Qingsong met with the  executive
          director and her assistant of the Organization of Chinese
          Americans and thanked their help in the protection
          campaign. They pledged further cooperation between IFCSS
          and OCA.

Oct. 27:  HQ sent two delegates, Vice-president He Baoping and
          Executive Director Zhang Qingsong to present a
          certificate of merit to one of the IFCSS attorneys, Ms.
          Elaine Budd, for her contribution to the cause of IFCSS.

Oct. 28:  Mr. Shi Heping, director of Public Relations and
          Government Affairs, discussed implementation of S1216
          with INS officials. A news release was posted on email
          networks. A report on the meeting appeared on World
          Journal.

Oct. 28:  The HQ drafted the first "HQ Office Rule for Attendance"
          as part of this term's efforts to professionalize the
          operation of IFCSS HQ.

Oct. 29:  IFCSS began to collect information relating to a
          political prisoner Huang Guisheng.

Oct. 31:  IFCSS Newsletter resumed distribution through email. Mr.
          Li Gang of Emory University will be the coordinator for
          that project.

Oct. 31:  Two local June 4 foundations have began to consider to
          transfer their funds to the IFCSS June 4th Foundation.
          The June Fourth Foundation now is consolidated under the
          IFCSS. It is under the supervision of IFCSS council and
          managed by professional accountant.

*********************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                         *
*                 =========================                         *
* President:      Geng Xiao  Assistant to the President: Shi Heping * 
* Vice-President: He Baoping     Executive Director: Zhang Qingsong *
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
*                   The Missions of IFCSS                           *
* Promote freedom, democracy, human rights and rule of law in China *
* Assist the development of  scienece, culture and economy in China *
* Represent the interests of Chinese students and scholars in U.S.A *
* IFCSS is a non-profit organization and has tax-exempt status. To  *
* donate, please make checks payable to "IFCSS" and send to:        *
*   IFCSS, 733 15th St. N.W., Suite 440, Washington D.C., 20005"    *
*********************************************************************