Subject: IFCSS HQ Biweekly Report 4013 (Feb. 1-15, 1993)

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1993 17:12:30 -0500

**************************************************************
   IFCSS HQ Biweekly Report 4013          Feburary 1-15, 1993
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

              IFCSS HQ Biweekly Report 4013
                   (Feb. 1-15, 1993)

Feb.1:   After the conclusion of the Min Lian/Min Zheng joint
         Convention, some delegates paid a trip to the HQ of
         IFCSS, the largest oveaseas Chinese student organization.

Feb.2-3: The HQ arranged the Taiwan Student Association Delegation
         to visit several cities on the East Coast. Zhang Qingsong
         and Geng Xiao took turns to drive the  students to and 
         back from New York.

Feb. 2:  IFCSS President Geng Xiao and Executive Director Zhang
         Qingsong met with senior aides of Congresswoman Helen
         Bentley and Congressman John Porter to discuss issues
         on the legislation of Radio Free Asia. The HQ also 
         contacted Senator Biden's office to push for a Radio Free
         Asia bill in the Senate.

Feb.3-5: A Chinese student family was detained in Seattle Airport.
         The HQ took immediate actions to prevent the family been
         returned to China. The HQ contacted State Department and
         INS. IFCSS legal advisers also intervened. Under the
         pressure, INS inspectors allowed the family be released
         on bond.

Feb. 5:  The HQ sent an official memorandum to the May 4th Foundation,
         notifying that IFCSS has decided to withdraw CCSA's account
         from the Foundation. It was also requested that CCSA's 
         accounts be frozen during the transtion period.

Feb. 6:  The HQ has compiled a human right report entitled "Continued
         political and religious repression". Upon request, the report
         was submitted to the U.S. official delegation to the U.N.
         Human Rights Convention in Geneva.

Feb. 8:  With the assistance of IFCSS Community Information Center,
         the HQ established a discussion network for information
         exchange on Radio Free Asia. The net is named "rfa-net".

Feb. 9:  The HQ learned that Indiana University has a policy that
         Chinese students must deposit $8,000 into the University's
         Financial department before they are admitted into the
         University. Two Chinese students have been denied admission
         based on that policy. The HQ had the feeling that this could
         be a racial discrimination policy. The HQ has contacted the
         International studies office in Indiana University for 
         explanation. We are carefully studying the case.

Feb.15:  Four schools have expressed interests in hosting the 5th
         IFCSS Congress. The HQ is carefully evaluating their proposals.

*********************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                         *
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
* For a copy of IFCSS's report "Continued Political and Religious   *
* Repression", please send your request to  [email-masked]            *
* We will not send it to the networks since it is too long.         *
*********************************************************************