Subject: IFCSS HQ Biweekly Report 4014 (Feb. 15-28, 1993)

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1993 18:14:19 -0500

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters Biweekly Report No. 4014 (Feb. 15-28, 1993)
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

             IFCSS HQ Biweekly Report 4014
                (February 15-28, 1993)

Feb. 15:  HQ announced several job openings in Network Solutions,
          A company specialized in Computer Networking.

Feb. 15:  A student called the HQ. Her husband was arrested before his
          planned departure to join her in the U.S. The student was very
          concerned over her husband's safety. The HQ contacted the
          newspaper and the State Department. A report appeared on
          World Journal. Three days later, the Chinese Government 
          allowed the husband to call the student. 

Feb. 17:  IFCSS Executive Director Zhang Qingsong, on behalf of the HQ,
          talked to a reporter from World Journal on Wang Dan's release.
          He welcomed the release, but also pointed out that the release
          does not reflect meaningful improvement in human rights. Wang
          Dan is near the end of his sentence and he is innocent and
          should have not been put into prison. He urged the Chinese
          Government to stop harassing the dissidents and give them real
          freedom. He pointed out that there are still hundreds of
          students and thousands of non-student political prisoners in
          the jail.

Feb. 18:  The HQ released a report entitled "Continued Oppression in
          China: A Report to President Clinton from IFCSS". Earlier
          the report had been submitted to U.S. Delegation to U.N.
          Human Rights Convention. 

Feb. 19:  The Third "Taiwan Summer Workshop and Tour" organized by
          The Chinese Student Union of Taiwan begins to accept
          application. The HQ in three days sent out more than 60
          application forms.

Feb. 19:  IFCSS President Geng Xiao and Executive Director/CCSA Chairman
          Zhang Qingsong along with IFCSS legal advisers from Arent Fox
          met with top INS officers to prepare for implementation of
          S1216.

Feb. 24:  Mr. Shi Heping, Assistant to the President and Chairman of
          Committee on Public Relations and Government Affairs, met
          with State Department officer Gary Williams. He submitted
          a list of new political prisoners.

Feb. 24:  The HQ announced the activity fund for the second quarter
          of this term (October-December, 1992). University of Florida:
          $410; Oregon State University: $352; UNC, Chapel Hill: $317;
          Virginia Teck: $295; University of Cincinnati: $188; Univ.
          of Kentucky, Lexington: $187; Marguette University: $174;
          University of Maryland: $164; Univ. of Washington, Seattle:
          $147; Purdue University: $134; Univ. of Wisconsin, Madison:
          $127; Stanford University: $123; New Mexico State: $122;
          Rice U. $105; Moorehead State  University: $103; George
          Washington U. $100; University of Louisville: $106; Duke
          University: $94.

Feb. 25:  HQ posted several job announcements.

Feb. 26:  The Voice of America contacted the HQ for a comment on the
          perfomance of Chinese Ambassador Zhu Qizhen who is about
          to leave the post. Zhang Qingsong said that the HQ has no
          comment on Mr. Zhu's performance because he never dared to
          contact us. He pointed out that Zhu was named Ambassador
          after the June 4th Massacre and he represented a conservative
          and repressive hard-line policy. Zhang said he hopes that
          the new ambassador would prevent Chinese diplomats from
          harassing Chinese students and their organizations.

*********************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                         *
*                 =========================                         *
* President:      Geng Xiao  Assistant to the President: Shi Heping * 
* Vice-President: He Baoping     Executive Director: Zhang Qingsong *
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
* There will be an article about how to file tax returns for Chinese*
* students/scholars in the upcoming IFCSS Newsletter Vol.4, #7      *
*********************************************************************