Subject: IFCSS Biweekly Report 4015 (March 1-15, 1993)

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1993 16:05:56 -0500

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters Biweekly Report No. 4015   March 1-15, 1993
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

             IFCSS HQ Biweekly Report 4015
                  (March 1-15, 1993)

Mar.1:  HQ released a letter from Geng Xiao to President Clinton.
        The letter pointed out that Chinese Government has learned
        to play "political prisoner" cards. The Letter urged Clinton
        to pressure the Chinese Government for fundamental changes.

Mar.3:  A student stranded in Turkey finally got a re-entry visa after
        the HQ intervened.

Mar.4:  HQ released a report on the progress of preparation for the
        implementation of S1216. The report showed the receptive
        attitude of INS toward the Act. It also indicated the common
        grounds and differences between IFCSS and INS.

Mar.6:  IFCSS and the CGSA of the University of Maryland jointly 
        sponsored a seminar series on the future of China. The first
        event was a talk by Zheng Yi and his wife Bei Ming on Guangxi
        Cannibalism today in UMD.

Mar.7:  IFCSS Human Rights Committee Chairman, Mr. Xiao Qiang, has
        applied for and was granted an account in ifcss.org
        He can now receive and send email. For those who want to
        contact him, write to   [email-masked] (hrc stands for
        human rights committee). IFCSS/CCIC also established an
        account for New York based Human Rights in China (Director
        Xiao Qiang, President Liu Qing). The HQ and HRC are planning
        to establish a discussion network for people interested in
        human rights conditions in China.

Mar. 9: HQ updated the Q&A article on the Chinese Student Protection
        Act and upon request has submitted it to China Spring for
        publication.

Mar.10: IFCSS Executive Director/CCSA Chairman Zhang Qingsong along
        with IFCSS legal advisers Christine Harrell and Lou Lowes had
        a meeting with officials from the Federal Trade Commission. 
        Zhang expressed concern over the false advertisements regarding
        the Protection Act in Chinese newspapers and urged the
        government to pay attention to the deceptive practices and 
        protect the interests of Chinese students/nationals. The Agency
        expressed strong interests and an investigation is under way.

Mar.11: After two months of negotiation, the HQ is about to reach an
        agreement with an Asian marketing company to help promote
        a long distance telephone service among the IFCSS members.

Mar.13: A total of six schools have expressed interests in hosting the
        5th IFCSS Congress. University of Kentucky at Lexington is 
        leading other candidates. Next week, HQ officers will pay
        an on-site visit to that school. Formal announcement will 
        be made after the 4th Council Teleconference.

Mar.15: HQ is planning some more trips to local schools. Next week,
        we will visit some schools in the Southeast. In the end of
        March, IFCSS President Geng Xiao will visit the CSS community
        in Southern California.

Mar.15: HQ staffers held a work meeting to make plans for the fourth
        quarter of this term. The major projects for the fourth
        quarter will be: 5th Congress, June 4 memorial activities,
        joint meeting in June, implementation of Protection Act,
        negotiation on several service programs, annual review and
        reports, etc. HQ has also examined plans to help the CSS to
        file applications for the Protection Act.

*********************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                         *
*                 =========================                         *
* President:      Geng Xiao  Assistant to the President: Shi Heping * 
* Vice-President: He Baoping     Executive Director: Zhang Qingsong *
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub pbs-l firstname lastname             * 
*    (For signing off)     signoff pbs-l firstname lastname         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************