Subject: IFCSS HQ Biweekly Report 4017 (April 1-15, 1993)

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1993 15:30:29 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4017      April 1-15, 1993
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

              IFCSS Biweekly Report 4017
                  (April 1-15, 1993)

Apr.1:  HQ posted an announcement of Lee Yuh-jie Fellowship
        which is available for Chinese students in ABD (all but
        dissertation) status.

Apr.2:  A new long distance telephone service was introduced. 
        IFCSS and Asian American Association agreed to promote
        the Sprint Most and other programs in the CSS community.

Apr.3:  HQ officers participated in the 4th Council teleconference.
        The Council approved unanimously HQ's work report, third
        quarter financial report and 5th Congress preparation 
        report.

Apr.3:  IFCSS CSPA Information Center placed an ad on World Journal.
        
Apr.5:  Geng Xiao completed his ten day trip to California and 
        Arizona and returned to D.C. He visited 6 schools: UCLA,
        University of Southern California, UC-San Diego, UC-Irvine,
        Arizona State University and University of Arizona.

Apr.6:  Zhang Qingsong and Shi Heping met with State Department
        officers Diane Kelly and Gary Williams. A total of 12 family
        reunion cases were submitted for the consideration of the 
        Department. They discussed the  current human rights 
        conditions in China and the implementation of the Student
        Protection Act.

Apr.7:  Shi Heping participated in the NGO meeting. NGO is a
        coordination organization on human rights issues.

Apr.10: Q&A on CSPA (No.2) was published on World Journal (Weekly
        Edition).

Apr.12: HQ officers held a meeting to arrange for the work of HQ
        in the fourth quarter.

Apr.15: The CSPA Center begins to edit the first issue of "CSPA
        Update" which should include the text of President Bush's
        Executive Order, the text of the 1992 Chinese Student 
        Protection Act, Q&A on CSPA No.1 and No.2.

Apr.15: HQ released the preliminary program of IFCSS 5th Congress.
        The Congress will take place in University of Kentucky,
        Lexington on July 2-5, 1993.

Note:

     We encourage the delegates to register for the Congress early
to help us make a good planning for the Congress. If you register
before your arrival, you need only to pay $65 registration fee. The
on-site registration (that is you turn in the registration form 
when you arrive at Lexington) fee is $75.

Thanks for your attention.

*********************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                         *
*                 =========================                         *
* President:      Geng Xiao  Assistant to the President: Shi Heping * 
* Vice-President: He Baoping     Executive Director: Zhang Qingsong *
*********************************************************************