Subject: IFCSS HQ Biweekly Report BW4018 (April 16-30, 1993)

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1993 14:32:27 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters Biweekly Report No. 4018 (April 16-30, 1993)
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

               IFCSS Biweekly Report BW-4018
                    (April 16-30, 1993)

4/16 Shi Heping met with senior staff members from Senator
     Kennedy's office and senator Gorton's office and discussed
     with them some key issues in the implementation of The Chinese
     Student Protection Act.

4/18 The plan for an IFCSS Joint Conference in June was finalized.
     Necessary fund has been assured. The conference will have two
     parts: Conference on student movement/IFCSS White Book and
     IFCSS Joint Conference of HQ, Council, SVC and Working
     Committees.

4/19 Shi Heping and Zhang Qingsong attended a human rights
     panel discussion in the U.S. Congress. They distributed
     information about IFCSS human rights activities including the
     June 4th victim relief program which has sent over $20,000 to
     victims and their families in China.

4/20 IFCSS CSPA Information Center rented an office (next door to
     the HQ), bought a new computer and set up a computer database.
     Several temporary helpers have been hired to handle office
     work.

4/23 HQ officers participated in a meeting with Dalai Lama.

4/24-25:
     IFCSS HQ officers and their families worked in the weekend to
     input the CSPA Information Center data into the computer
     database.

4/27 Shi Heping was invited to the 10th anniversary celebration of
     the Congressional Human Rights Caucus, which is co-chaired by
     Congressmen Lantos and Porter. Four Nobel Peace Prize winners,
     including Dalai Lama and Mr. Saharov's wife, attended the
     event.

4/28 Shi Heping visited Department of State, where he expressed
     IFCSS' concerns over the implementation of the Chinese Student
     Protection Act and discussed some specific student family
     reunion cases with the responsible officer at China Desk.

4/29 Shi Heping was invited to Senator George Mitchell's office to
     share IFCSS' view on China's MFN trade status. Senator
     Mitchell and Congresswoman Pelosi have introduced bills to
     attach human rights conditions to China's MFN status. Among
     other things, the bills demand access to Chinese prisons by
     international humanitarian groups such as the Red Cross.

4/30 President Geng Xiao has begun to write the work report of 4th
     term IFCSS HQ.

4/30 Shi Heping met with Senator Mack's aide Saul Singer to talk
     about IFCSS' activities. China's MFN issue was also discussed.

*********************************************************************
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub pbs-l last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub pbs-l last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************