Subject: IFCSS HQ Biweekly Report BW4019 (May 1-15, 1993)

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1993 14:54:31 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters Biweekly Report No. 4019   (May 1-15, 1993)
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

                IFCSS Biweekly Report BW-4019
                     (May 1-15, 1993)

5/1-2
     HQ officers and their families again worked in the weekend to
     prepare the CSPA Update No.1 which was mailed next Monday.

5/3  Xiao Geng and Baoping He invited staff members from some
     senate offices to express IFCSS' appreciation for their help
     with The Chinese Student Protection Act.

5/4  Xiao Geng sent letters to Secretary of State Christopher,
     Attorney General Reno, and Assistant to President for National
     Security Lake to ask for their support of IFCSS's demands
     regarding the Chinese Student Protection Act.

5/5  The HQ contacted the INS Headquarters on a case of CSS
     (covered by the Protection Order) dependent being denied visa
     extension. INS HQ sent a reply which was forwarded to the
     student. The local INS office, after reading the letter, agreed to
     re-open the case. If you have similar problems, please contact
     the HQ for assistance.

5/5  The HQ made a call for the local CSS organizations to organize
     June 4th memorial activities. Like last year, IFCSS and other
     organizations in the D.C. area will sponsor a candle-light
     vigil in front of Chinese Embassy on June 4 (7:00-9:00 pm).

5/6  Shi Heping met with Senator Max Baucus' legislative assistant
     Ed Gresser. The two had a two-hour talk over China's economic
     reform, human rights situation, and changes in the
     infrastructure of the Chinese society. Senator Baucus has been
     advocating for not attaching conditions to China's MFN 
     status.

5/10 Tsai Wanlin Fellowship for mainland Chinese students begins to
     accept applications. For more information, write to:
     CHISAC, 222 W. Cermak Rd., Suite 303, Chicago, IL 60616.

5/11 5th Congress tentative schedule was announced. The HQ has
     assigned the Ambassador Square Travel as the official agent to
     assist the delegates make airline reservations. Phone number:
     800-447-3900, fax: 703-968-8431. Address: Ambassador Square
     Travel, 10751 Ambassador Drive, Suite 101, Manassas, Virginia
     22110.

5/12 Two reports in the World Journal caused a wide spread
     confusion and apprehension. A lot of people called the HQ and
     the Information Center requesting for information. Zhang
     Qingsong sent a message to the CCNL net and clarified the
     facts.

5/12 Xiao Geng, Baoping He, Qingsong Zhang, and Shi Heping met with
     Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi and Congressman Frank Wolf. They
     discussed issues related to China's MFN status. Shi Heping
     presented to the representatives a list of Chinese students
     still held in prison and asked them to help gain the early
     release of these students. Xiao Geng extended a formal
     invitation to Congresswoman Pelosi to attend the IFCSS 5th
     Congress.

5/13 IFCSS Newsletter, Vol.4, No.8 was mailed today.

5/14 Mr. Hou Junwei, a recent graduate of Case Western Reserve
     University Law School, reports to the HQ. He will work in the
     IFCSS CSPA Information Center. His official title will be
     announced next week.

5/14 Ms. Chen Xin, of Washington State University, began her work
     in Senator Gorton's office in the IFCSS Congressional Intern-
     ship program. IFCSS will sponsor 4 Chinese students to work
     in Congressional offices for three months. Two students 
     including Ms. Chen have been accepted.

*********************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                         *
*-------------------------------------------------------------------*
* For IFCSS Health Insurance Information, call  1-800-394-2500      *
* For IFCSS Long Distance Phone Service,  call  1-800-7ifcss5       *
* For IFCSS Travel Service,               call  1-800-447-3900      *
* For CSPA Information,                   call    202-783-5077      *
* For IFCSS/CCIC ftp service, send mail to [email-masked]      *
*********************************************************************