Subject: IFCSS HQ BIWEEKLY REPORT 4120 (May 15-31, 1993)

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1993 18:32:28 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters Biweekly Report No. 4120  (May 15-31, 1993)
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

            IFCSS HQ Biweekly Report 4020
                 (May 15-31, 1993)

5/16:     In response to the rumor circulating among the CSS   
          community that "the White House has ordered the INS to
          stop the operation related to CSPA", the HQ drafted a
          report to alleviate the anxiety and confusion.

5/17:     Shi Heping talked with INS General Counsel's Office
          Depute Director Beate Ort about the CSPA.

5/17:     Zhang Qingsong accompanied Qian Liyun, Tiananmen student
          leader Xiong Yan's wife who was detained by the Chinese
          Government along with Shen Tong and Qi Dafeng, to meet
          with State Department officers.

5/19:     IFCSS legal adviser Lynda Zengerle of Arent Fox prepared
          a questionnaire to help the CSS prepare for the CSPA
          applications.

5/20:     A tentative schedule of IFCSS 5th Congress was released.

5/22-25:  Mr. Zhang Weiguo visited IFCSS HQ. Shi Heping accompanied
          him to visit the VOA, USIA, Asia Watch, State Department
          and several Congressional offices.

5/25:     The HQ and the CIU at Wisconsin-Madison helped a Chinese
          student who accidently hit two police cars. HQ consulted
          the legal advisers in Arent Fox and gave the student good
          professional advice. In the end, the student received
          minor penalties.

5/25:     The Student Activity Fund for the third quarter of this
          term was released. The top four schools and the amounts
          are:  Arizona State University: $1556; Purdue University:
          $1485; University of Florida: $1396; University of Iowa:
          $1167.

5/25:     Shi Heping talked with Mr. Ort about the birth
          certificate issue.

5/26:     The HQ asked Senator Gorton and Senator Baucus to send
          letters to Chinese Government to give proper treatment to
          Mr. Wang Juntao who planned to start a hunger strike in
          early June. Both Senators responded by sending letters to
          Chinese Embassy. On June 5, newspaper reported that the
          Chinese Government agreed to take Wang Juntao to the
          hospital for treatment.

5/26:     22 local CSS organizations have pre-registered for the
          fifth Congress.

5/27:     IFCSS Newsletter vol.4, number 9 was mailed out.

5/28:     Geng Xiao, He Baoping, Shi Heping and Zhang Qingsong were
          invited to the White House to meet with Mr. Kent
          Wiedermann, Special Assistant to the President and Senior
          director on Asian Affairs of the National Security
          Council. They talked about the MFN, Radio Free Asia, the
          CSPA and other issues. The meeting lasted about two
          hours.

5/28-30:  Mr. Wang Jianan, Editor-in-Chief of IFCSS Newsletter
          represented the IFCSS at the NAFSA meeting in San
          Francisco. He had several conversations with INS officers
          in that meeting.

*********************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                         *
*********************************************************************