Subject: IFCSS HQ BIWEEKLY REPORT 4121 (JUNE 1-15, 1993)

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1993 18:39:42 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters Biweekly Report No. 4121  (June 1-15, 1993)
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

                IFCSS HQ Biweekly Report 4021
                     (June 1-15, 1993)

6/1:      In response to a letter on the Young Scientist Network
          which distorted the nature of the Chinese Student
          Protection Act, Zhang Qingsong wrote a response to the
          YSN. He pointed out that the CSPA was the continuation of
          U.S. protection policy.

6/2:      Shi Heping, Hou Junwei (deputy director of CSPA
          Information Center) and Zhang Qingsong went to INS
          Headquarters to meet with Mr. Duarte director of
          examinations branch. They discussed issues related to
          CSPA and the plans for cooperation between INS and IFCSS.

6/3:      The HQ compiled a report on nation-wide June 4 memorial
          activities to be held next day.

6/4:      In the day, IFCSS held a conference on Overseas Student
          Movement in which Cai Ling, Chen Yizhi, Zhang Boli, Zhou
          Yongjun, Ling Changshen, Liu Xiaozhu, Wang Yanbin and Wu
          Tao made speeches.

          In the evening, more than 300 Chinese students and
          nationals gathered in front of the Chinese Embassy to
          commemorate the June 4 Massacre.

6/5:      IFCSS held a joint conference of Council, HQ, SVC and
          Working Committees.

          A day earlier, the HQ alerted the CSS that they may start
          to prepare for the CSPA application.

6/6-7:    Local INS offices are not unified in their responses to
          CSS requests for application forms. In some areas, such
          as Los Angeles, Atlanta, Hawaii, Arlington of Virginia,
          etc., INS are well-prepared and the forms are distributed
          smoothly, while in some other areas, the CSS cannot get
          the forms. Upon the request of INS Headquarters, the HQ
          send two urgent notices advising the CSS to make sure
          that the forms are available before they go to local INS
          offices.

6/8:      HQ officers were interviewed by several newspapers on the
          impact of boat people from China. They pointed out the
          the boat people and CSPA are totally different issues.

6/9:      HQ announced that the CSPA Information Center will not
          accept application mailed after 12:00 pm, June 10,
          (postmarked).

6/10:     41 local CSS organizations have registered for the 5th
          Congress.

6/11:     Upon the request of HQ, Senator Gorton sent a letter to
          Attorney General Reno expressing concern over the issue
          of birth certificate in the implentation of CSPA. Senator
          Kennedy's office also agreed to write letter to Ms. Reno.

6/11:     HQ announced that it will arrange transportation between
          Lexington and the Cincinnati Airport in order to reduce
          the airfare cost of 5th Congress.

6/14:     HQ endorsed a letter to the Chinese leaders asking them
          to reconsider the decision to build the Three Gorges Dam.
          The letter campaign is organized by Friends of the Earth
          which is seeking the endorsement from world reknowned
          leaders.

6/14:     Upon the request of 5da Task Force, HQ announced the
          increase of travel subsidy for distant states: 1000-1500
          miles:  $300; 1500-2000 miles: $400; 2000+ miles: $500.

6/14:     Shi Heping talked with Ms. Philis Coven, Assistant to
          Attorney General about birth certificate and application
          forms.

6/15:     INS reaffirmed that they would provide IFCSS with enough
          forms once the forms are available.

6/15:     Upon the information provided by IFCSS indicating that
          some local INS offices are refusing the requests by CSS
          for application forms, INS HQ send a cable ordering local
          INS that they "may not refuse" requests by CSS for
          adjustment of status application forms.

*********************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                         *
*-------------------------------------------------------------------*
* Join the IFCSS sponsored long distance telephone program, you will*
* be entitled to a $50 certificate book. For details, see next HQ   *
* news release, or call 1-800-7ifcss5                               *
*********************************************************************