Subject: IFCSS HQ NR-4002: Protection Bill Coordination

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1992 16:08:55 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters New Release No. 4002         August 8, 1992
                PROTECTION BILL COORDINATION
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

From:   IFCSS HQ
To:     Chinese Students and Scholars nation-wide
Re:     Protection Bill Coordination

     As the 1992 Chinese Student Protection Bill (S.1216)
is near the final stages of legislation, we should put the
ongoing nation-wide campaign supporting this legislation
into a full-swing. At this critical stage, it is very
important to have a well-organized and efficient nation-wide
coordination system. While the Student Affairs Committee of
IFCSS, led by Mr. Zhao Haiqing, is concentrating on pushing
the bill through the Congress, the IFCSS HQ shoulders the
responsibility to organize grassroots support and coordinate
supporting activities nation-wide.

    The coordination system has the following objectives:

    1. MOBILIZATION: We want to make sure that supporting
activities will take place in every state.

    2. COVERAGE: To make sure that every Congressmen get
our message.

    3. INFORMATION: To make sure that we receive and send
out information which is accurate, update and unequivocal.

    4. UNITY: To make sure that we have one voice.

    5. SPEEDY ACTION: To make sure that instructions for
actions coming out of D.C. (HQ, CCSA, or the Attorneys)
will bring about immediate responses from all over the
country.

    6. DISCIPLINE: When directives such as "Open Fire,"
"Hold Your Fire," "Call this committee," etc. are issued,
they should reach every corner of the CSS communities.

    We plan to divide the coordination system into three
levels:

    A:  The School Level

    1). Each school should have at least one contact person
who will keep eyes on the development, receive instructions
from the HQ, and keep his fellow students/scholars informed.

    2). A temporary office should be set-up in which people
can come to get the most recent instructions and to exchange
information.

    3). Each school should form a committee or group to
share the heavy burden of work, such as making phone calls,
contacting people, writing letters, preparing background
information, etc.

    B: State Level

    1). There should be at least one coordinator for each
state to coordinate activities within his/her state.

    2). The Coordinator should form a supporting group to
assist him/her.

    3). The Coordinator should:
        -- Contact schools in the state.
        -- mobilize schools which have been inactive.
        -- provide addresses, phone/fax numbers.
        -- find out positions of Representatives from the state.
        -- report to HQ about the progress or problems.

    C: National Level

    See previous announcements on the Emergency Teleconference.

    To reach these goals, we need the involvement and
cooperation of the general CSS community. People who are
interested in being the coordinator in your state, please
send your name, state, school, phone/fax number to

    "[email-masked]"

    Mr. Chen Zheng-ping of Case Western Reserve University
has been conducting a survey on the school participation.
The HQ thank Mr. Chen for doing this valuable work and appeal
schools to respond to his call. His address

    "[email-masked]"

    Financial contributions to the nation-wide coordination
efforts are also encouraged. Please make your checks payable
to "IFCSS CSS-Protection Account." Address:

     IFCSS CSS-Protection Account
     733 15th Street, N.W.
     Suite 440
     Washington D.C.

    CCSA, the legislative arm of IFCSS, is also accepting
donations to cover lobby-related expenses. Please send your
checks to

    CCSA
    P.O. Box 65307
    Washington D.C. 20035-5307

***************************************************************
         IFCSS Headquarters Office    Signature
***************************************************************