Subject: IFCSS HQ NR-4013: Help Shen Tong!

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1992 18:44:32 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4013     September 2, 1992
                   HELP SHEN TONG
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

         IFCSS Calls on Chinese Students to Help Shen Tong
         =================================================

Dear Fellow Students:

    In the early morning of September 1, Shen Tong, a Boston
University student on a home-visiting trip, was arrested in
his home in Beijing. Two other students, Qi Dafeng and Qian
Liyun, were also arrested along with Shen Tong.

    According to people who had contact with Shen Tong before
his arrest, Shen had contacted government officials in China
about the possibility of setting up an office in Beijing to
promote constructive changes in China and received positive
responses. As a result, Shen Tong went ahead to hire two
employees for the office (Qi and Qian).

    Shen's activities in Beijing had the full knowledge and
consent of related government officials and the whole project
proceeded strictly within the framework of the existing Chinese
law.

    IFCSS regards the arrest of Shen Tong and his colleagues as
a serious setback of the government's policy encouraging the
return of overseas Chinese students, a move politically unwise
and morally unjust. We call on Chinese students and scholars
across the United States to act immediately to help Shen, Qi
and Qian to regain their freedom. You may call or write to
the Chinese Embassy or related government agencies in China.
You may also enlist support from United States government
by contacting members of Congress from your area or contacting
the State Department. A concerted appeal from all of us is
very important.

    IFCSS will continue to closely monitor the situation and
will work with all forces for the release of these students.

    Agencies and numbers to call:

    State Council:                86-1-335987
    National Peoples' Congress    86-1-3098674
    Ministry of Justice           86-1-4081613
    State Education Commission    86-1-6011049
    Beijing Municipal Government  86-1-5121175

    Chinese Embassy               202-328-2500
    2300 Connecticut Ave. N.W.
    Washington, D.C. 20008

***************************************************************
         IFCSS Headquarters Office    Signature
***************************************************************