Subject: IFCSS HQ NR-4019: Protection Bill Still Waiting

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1992 17:17:03 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4019    September 17, 1992
            PROTECTION BILL STILL WAITING
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

            Protection Bill Still Waiting
            =============================

     Until today, the '92 protection bill is still waiting
to be considered by the Senate.  No definite time has been
set for the bill. It is near the end of this Congress, and
a lot of bills are on the waiting list. Also there are some
technical matters to be sorted out. Our lobby team is
working closely with the leaders of the Senate.

     Some people are concerned that if the bill does not
pass the Senate by September 21, President Bush may use
"pocket veto" against the bill. Our interpretation is:
1. As we have indicated some time ago and has been proved
correct that President Bush will sign the bill; 2. Congress
has not set the specific date to conclude the session; 3.
therefore, according to our analysis, we should not panic
at this time.

     Local CSS communities can support our efforts by sending
petition letters to senators from your state. Just generally
ask for support.

***************************************************************
         IFCSS Headquarters Office    Signature
***************************************************************