Subject: IFCSS HQ NR-4032: Urgent Call for Financial Support

From: IFCSS HQ <ifcss>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1992 15:13:43 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4032    September 24, 1992
          IFCSS URGENT CALL FOR FINANCIAL SUPPORT
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

                IFCSS Calls for Donations
                =========================

The Current Financial Situation of IFCSS
----------------------------------------

     Right now IFCSS Headquarters is experiencing a financial
crisis. With no money (but some debts) left from the 3rd term,
the HQ has difficulties in sustaining its normal operations.
HQ staffs have not been paid since June and some of them are
living on borrowed money since July. Several checks have been
bounced back for several over-drawn accounts. And at one point,
the telephone line was cut.

What Happened to the Donations Made in the Past Months
------------------------------------------------------

     Up to now, IFCSS Headquarters has received $12,000 for the
IFCSS CSS-Protection Account. With monthly office expenses (rent,
phone, postage, etc., not including salary of salaries for the four
full-time staff members) averaging around $5,000, this money was
quickly drained. The May Fourth Foundation has also been receiving
donations in the protection campaign. The HQ, however, has no
idea as to how much money has gone into that account and has no
access to the money in that account.

How the IFCSS Contributed to Protection of Chinese Students
-----------------------------------------------------------

    First, S1216 is not the only thing IFCSS Headquarters has done
for Chinese students. It also organized the lobbying for "Pelosi
Bill", which resulted in the President's Executive Order; it has
helped over 500 Chinese student dependents to get entry visas into
the U.S.; it has fought for the rights of many individual students
in China as well as in the U.S. who suffered from political
persecution, Shen Tong being the latest example.

     Second, we should realize that S1216 is not strictly an
immigration bill, but based on human rights considerations. Without
the courageous students and Beijing citizens standing up against
tyranny, without tens of thousands of students rallied to condemn
the "June 4th Massacre" in the U.S., without the continued fight
for democracy by IFCSS activists, there would not have been such a
bill.

     Thirdly, starting from 1989, the lobbying efforts have been
organized by IFCSS. If we did not have such a national organization
with its headquarters in Washington D.C., it would be very
difficult, if not impossible, for any individual voice to be heard.

     Fourthly, getting green cards for Chinese students is not the
ultimate goal of IFCSS, whose mission it is to promote human rights
in China. Therefore, in the past three years, IFCSS has been in
constant contact with the US Congress, the White House, and the
State Department to provide information on China's human rights
situation. Without this good working relationship, the bill would
not have cleared so many hurdles.

     Lastly but most importantly, our mission to promote democracy
and human rights does not end with this bill. In years to come,
IFCSS will continue to work for the betterment of Chinese people in
general and those who remain prisoners of conscience in particular.

     In the past, IFCSS has relied mainly on donations from
Americans and the people in Taiwan and Hong Kong. However, these
resources have been decreasing. It is the sincere hope of the IFCSS
Headquarters that more support will be provided by our fellow
students.

     If you wish to make a contribution, please make it payable to
IFCSS. If you want it be used exclusively for the bill, then please
make it payable to IFCSS CSS-Protection Account. Please note our
ONLY correct address is

       IFCSS
       733  15th St., N.W.
       Suite 440
       Washington, D.C. 20005

***************************************************************
         IFCSS Headquarters Office    Signature
***************************************************************