Subject: IFCSS HQ NR-4033: Sample Letter for President Bush

From: IFCSS HQ <ifcss>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1992 16:31:37 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4033    September 24, 1992
              SAMPLE LETTER TO PRESIDENT BUSH
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

              Sample Letter to President Bush
              ===============================

The Honorable George Bush
President of the United States

Dear President Bush:

We are writing to ask that you sign into law S1216, a bill
concerning the safety of tens of thousands of Chinese nationals
currently residing in the United States.

We still remember and remain grateful to the concern you showed
Chinese students in the wake of "June 4th Massacre," an event that
led many of us to stand up for democracy in defiance of potential
reprisal and persecution.  More than three years have passed since
the brutal crackdown in 1989. Tremendous changes have taken place
around the world. The Chinese government, however, has remained
recalcitrant and consistently demonstrated its determination to
resist the historical tide of democracy. The Chinese people are
still deprived of basic human rights, thousands of political
prisoners are languishing in dark cells and, only a couple of
months ago, Bao Tong, an advocate of reform and top advisor to
former Communist Party General Secretary Zhao Zhiyang, was
sentenced to seven years of imprisonment because of his alleged
involvement in the democracy movement of 1989. More recently, Shen
Tong, a Boston University student on a home-visiting trip to China,
was detained by the police. Despite the rescue efforts made by the
US government, Shen is still kept under detention.

This being the situation, we cannot but feel apprehension at the
prospect of returning to China upon the expiration of the current
presidential protection, which is to be January 1, 1994. Therefore,
once again we turn to you for help. Please extend your protection
by signing S1216.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

(signed)

***************************************************************
         IFCSS Headquarters Office    Signature
***************************************************************