Subject: IFCSS HQ NR-4035: Statement on Japanese Emperor's Visit

From: IFCSS HQ <ifcss>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1992 17:58:28 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4025    September 24, 1992
       Statement of IFCSS on  Japanese Emperor's Visit
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

Dear IFCSS Members:

     The following is the English version of IFCSS statement
on the upcoming visit by Japanese Emperor to China. The Chinese
version was released to Chinese news media on September 21.
The statement will be delivered to Japanese Embassy in
Washington D.C. and related Chinese government agencies.

[note: In the first Council teleconference (August 15, 1992)
a resolution on the same subject was unanimously adopted. The
HQ has been waiting  for the proper time to deliver this
statement.]

--------------------------------------------------------------

        Statement of IFCSS on Japanese Emperor's Visit
        ==============================================

      It has been reported that Japanese Emperor will visit
China in October. As the representative of Chinese students
and scholars in the United States, IFCSS is obligated to
make the following statement:

      1. Millions of Chinese lost lives during the eight
years of Japanese invasion and occupation. In the notorious
"Nanjing Massacre" alone, 300,000 Chinese citizens were
brutally slaughtered. Properties damaged and plundered by
the Japanese invaders were in the trillions. The Japanese
Emperor owes the Chinese people a public apology for the
war crime Japan had commited before 1945.

      2. Japan still occupies Chinese territory Diao Yu Dao,
(Fishing Island). The Chinese Government should request the
return of that island during Japanese Emperor's visit.

      3. According to Chinese Constitution, people are
entitled to free assembly and demonstration. Therefore,
Chinese citizens have the right to have mass gatherings
and demonstrations during Japanese Emperor's visit to
demand public apology, return of Chinese territory and
compensation for the loss of lives and properties occured
during the Japanese invasion.

      4. Recently, Mr. Bao Ge, a technician in Shanghai
University for Medican Science, has requested a permit
to have a demonstration during Japanese Emperor's visit.
However, he was detained by the Public Security Bureau
in violation of the Constitution and the law. We protest
this incident and demand that Mr. Bao Ge be immediately
and unconditionally released and the permit should be
granted.

***************************************************************
         IFCSS Headquarters Office    Signature
***************************************************************