Subject: IFCSS HQ NR-4040: S1216: Report on National Coordination

From: IFCSS HQ <ifcss>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1992 14:30:28 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4040    September 28, 1992
          S1216: REPORT ON NATIONAL COORDINATION
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

         S1216: Report on National Coordination
         ======================================

      As we have promised in our last news release, (NR-4039,
Sunday, September 27), there will be a formal report coming
out today. Here it is:

      1.  We are working with the IFCSS Washington lawyers who
drafted the Student Protection Bill S.1216 and guided its
passage in Congress. Now we must avoid a veto by President
Bush, especially what is called a "pocket veto." That is when
the Congress adjourns before the deadline for the President
to sign the bill or veto it and return it to Congress for an
override vote. If the Congress has adjourned by this date,
the President can simply not sign the bill, ("put it in his
pocket") to kill it. Now we are coordinating the Chinese
students efforts to prevent such veto, with the help of our
legal advisers in Washington.

      2.  As of this morning, the bill has not been received
by the White House. It is waiting to be enrolled in the
Senate (to be signed by the four major sponsors). The HQ has
contacted White House officials to urge President Bush to
sign the bill. We have also contacted Chinese American leaders
and organizations in D.C. to ask for their help.

      3.  The general CSS communities can help the campaign
by sending faxes and petitions, by making telephone calls to
the White House and by contacting local news papers.

      4.  The HQ has specific instructions and plans for
some local groups. We will contact those groups directly,
through email/phone/fax. Please stay alert and ready to
take actions when you are contacted by the HQ.

***************************************************************
         IFCSS Headquarters Office    Signature
***************************************************************