Subject: IFCSS HQ NR-4041: Some Clarification

From: IFCSS HQ <ifcss>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1992 13:16:18 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4041    September 29, 1992
                  SOME CLARIFICATION
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

                  Some Clarification
                  ==================

      Since last night, there have been some confusions about
the status of the Protection Bill and the lobby strategies.
Here are the explanations.

      1.  Veto of the MFN:   The conditional MFN bill was
vetoed by the President. Some people mistakenly thought
it was the protection bill. The HQ officers had asked
some student to send a clarification message last night
to the email networks.

      2. Where the bill is:  The bill has not been sent
to the White House up  to this morning. We were told
yesterday that the bill is expected to arrive in the
White House this afternoon.

      3. Do not stop sending messages to the White House:
We had asked the students to send messages to the White House
IFCSS legal advisers in Arent/Fox who had drafted the
protection bill and guided its passage in Congress. The
HQ has been working closely with our lawyers (Burt Wides,
Laura Reiff, John Mitchell) on the strategies and everything
we sent out have got their consent.

      This morning, we again talked with our lawyers, they
suggested that we should continue to send messages (including
letters, telegrams, fax, and phone calls) to the White House.
We must keep up enough pressure to prevent a veto (or pocket
veto). We should not take it for granted or take any chance.

      We will have more instructions later today.

***************************************************************
         IFCSS Headquarters Office    Signature
***************************************************************