Subject: IFCSS HQ NR-4044: Senator's Response

From: IFCSS HQ <ifcss>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1992 15:49:56 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4044    September 30, 1992
           A LETTER FROM SENATOR LLOYD BENTSEN
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

          A Letter from Senator Lloyd Bentsen
          ===================================

Note by IFCSS: Below is a letter from Senator Lloyd Bentsen, who
has been a strong supporter of our cause. The HQ believes that his
message is to all the Chinese students and would like to share it
with all of you. While remaining grateful to Senator Bentsen, the
HQ wishes to stress that our approach to the White House right now
should be positive.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

                                             9/28/92
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
Suite 440
733 15 th Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20005

Dear Friends:

Thank you for your recent correspondence.

I appreciate knowing of your support for S. 1216, the Chinese
Student Protection Act of 1992. I understand your concern and agree
that we should not force Chinese nationals residing in our country
to return to their homeland when they face possible  persecution
and arrest. Past events in China make it clear that persecution and
arrest are a potential threat, especially for Chinese students who
continue to speak out against political and religious oppression
and push for a more democratic form of government.

As you may know, after the governmen's brutal attack on Chinese
students in 1989, Congress passed compromise legislation which
would have waived the two-year foreign residence requirement for
Chinese nationals and guaranteed them refuge in this country.
Regrettably, President Bush vetoed the bill--in deference to
objections from the Chinese government. He chose to respond to the
situation with administrative changes instead. In my opinion, the
President sent the wrong message to the government in Beijing and
the wrong message to the forces of reaction elsewhere in the
Communist world.

I fully  supported an attempt to override that veto in the Senate,
which fell just short of the two-thirds vote required to override
a Presidential veto. Despite this setback, I continue to support
efforts to provide safety to Chinese students.

In that regard, you may be pleased to know that S. 1216, the
Chinese Student Protection Act of 1992, passed the Senate on
september 23. This bill will now go to the President for approval.
I hope he gives this legislation the support it deserves.

Again, I appreciate your taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

(signed)

Lloyd Bentsen
***************************************************************
         IFCSS Headquarters Office    Signature
***************************************************************