Subject: IFCSS HQ NR-4052: Situation Analysis and Strategy

From: IFCSS HQ <ifcss>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1992 12:08:53 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4052       October 7, 1992
             SITUATION ANALYSIS AND STRATEGY
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

             Situation Analysis and Strategy
             ===============================

     As of this morning, President Bush has not signed the
Chinese Student Protection Bill. According to our information
from both the White House and the Congress, the bill has
passed all technical reviews by the various offices. It is
now just waiting for President Bush's signature.

     Since the bill  has cleared all technical reviews, if Bush
choose to veto or pocket veto the bill, it must be a political
decision. Therefore,  the best way to prevent a veto/pocket veto
is to let Bush know the political implications of such a veto.

     Some netters have suggested to raise the question of
protection bill to President Bush in tonight's Larry King
Live Show. That is a good idea. We have consulted with our
legal advisers on this matter and they fully support this
idea (they had planned for this project before we contacted
them.) Here is our plan:

     The show is scheduled for 9:00 pm. Telephone numbers
will be released this evening. There will be perhaps thousands
requests. CNN will have a pre-screening to choose the questions.

     Our primary concern is to let some one get through the
pre-screening. We do not want to have massive phone campaign
on the show because that does not increase our chances.

     We want to find some one, an American would be better, who
is well-known or influential to ask the question for us. The
President of University of California, Berkeley, Mr. Tian
Chang Ling would be an ideal choice if we can get his help.

     We urge CSS across the nation to think about who are capable
of doing this, contact them, and also let the HQ know.

     The question should be in this line:

     "The Congress has passed a Chinese Student Protection Act
which is waiting for your approval. According to staffers in the
White House, the bill has cleared all administrative reviews and
is waiting for your signature. Your staffers also said that you
will sign the bill. My question is: When are you going to sign
the bill?"

     We hope to get a definite "yes" or "no" answer from Bush
in front of millions of TV viewers. If we can get some words
from him directly, we can decide tomorrow what to do in the next
several days.

     Please call the HQ if you have any potential candidate who
can help us in this project.

     Thanks for the cooperation.

***************************************************************
         IFCSS Headquarters Office    Signature
***************************************************************